How does a lazy person who hates to cook lose weight??

I admit, Im lazy. I also have arthritis that agrivates when Im NOT being lazy. Im overweight, almost or barely obese and would like to get rid of this weight! I hate to cook, mainly because my kids wont eat healthy food and Id rather not fight with them. I cook easy and sneak healthy in where I can. Id love to have some suggestions, good and bad.. give it to me. :)

integrity68

Asked by integrity68 at 9:29 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Keep hardly any food in the house. Shop at a grocery that has healthier food. Shop every day or two and get what you are going to eat for those days. Get fresh fruits and vegies and meat.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Lol you sound like me... except I don't have arthritis
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• kids don't eat healthy when they are taught that all they have to do is throw a fit and you give in. throw out all the junk. They eat what you eat. And sorry but you will have to get active...you have to burn 3500 calories more than what you eat to lose 1 pound. Get some meds for the arthritis.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• buy those special kay cereals there easy to make and they have low cralorie snacks and then just eat a light supper
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• You need to exercise, period. Start by walking, work up to jogging. Swim. Talk to your doctor about exercises that won't hurt your arthritis. Get moving.

Your kids eat what you eat. Just because they prefer pizza and chicken fingers doesn't mean they should be able to eat that all the time. Get their eating habits on track.

Purge your house of all candy, sweets, chips, fried foods, etc. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

Focus on eating food that isn't processed, a.k.a. fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. Pay attention to portion sizes and use measuring cups to make sure you don't overeat. Look for cereals and breads that are whole grain and high in fiber. When looking at protein bars, only buy bars that have at least 10g of protein apiece---anything lower than that is just candy.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• (cont)

Make vegetables the brunt of your meal. Mix veggies into rice and pasta (skip the creamy and cheesy sauces). Mix berries/fruit into yogurt. Mix berries into your cereal. Incorporate fresh foods into your diet in small ways.

Get creative with salad. It doesn't just have to be lettuce and tomatoes. Think cucumbers, blueberries, strawberries, feta cheese, olives, carrots, sprouts, apples. pears, diced oranges, chicken, tuna, salmon, bell peppers. It doesn't have to be boring.

Avoid eating after dinner. If you get the munchies, drink several cups of hot tea.

Cut out all caloric beverages. Water, milk, and tea are okay. Regular coffee is fine, but avoid the "candy coffees" you see at Starbucks...a carmel macchiato is basically a candy bar.

Change dessert. Instead of a fattening pastry, enjoy a piece of dark chocolate or a popsicle.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm with the others. If you don't bring the unhealthy stuff into your home they'll either learn to eat healthy or go hungry.

Salads are the easiest thing to make and it's not just lettuce anymore! Add chopped fresh veggies, nuts or sunflower seeds, a bit of cheese, chopped hard boiled egg, grilled chicken strips or steak strips...have a dish of fruit on the side.

Low fat yogurts require no cooking at all, just open and eat. Keep veggies and dip or hummus handy for snacks.

Bake a pack of unbreaded chicken breasts, season them if desired. Kids want a sandwich, they can have a chicken breast sandwich.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• im with mousuke on the food. but a few ways to sneak in some excersize would be when you go to the grocery store, park as far away as possible, then return the cart to the store. When you first get in the store, make a circle of it before starting your shopping. If your mailbox is down the street walk to it. if you have an upstairs use that bathroom, or the bathroom furthest away from you. If your a tv junkie like me, wait til commercials then jump up and do jumping jacks. you can burn alot of calories in those few minutes. next commercial do some sit ups/pushups/lunges/jump rope etc..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Eat salads and do core strength workouts.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have arthritis and hurt worse when I don't walk, swim or move around in some way. I hate exercising but I hate the pain worse. I have to stretch every day or lay around taking pain killers knowing when I wake up I'll hurt even worse bc I laid around! As for food, I'm lazy there as well but did change my eating habits. Kids usually like fruit. Nothing easier than eating fresh fruit. They like chicken and some might eat fish. I throw in frozen vegs and chicken/fish in a cast iron dutch oven, bake at a high heat and it's moist and good and one pot to clean up. Do they like sweet potatoes? They have them in french fry form in the frozen food section. Healthy and great. I sprinkle olive oil on mine and chili powder (i saw that on Cook your way thin). I now eat poached eggs cooked in a pan of boiling water (same show taught me that) and eat whole wheat pastas. It's all good. Make small changes. You can do it if I can!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:03 PM on Aug. 13, 2009