Question about epi pen.

Does your child have an epi pen? How long have they had it? What are their allergies? Hove you ever used it? How old were they when they got it?

My son is two and is allergic to ants and mosquitoes. We haven't had to use it.

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 9:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have one but haven't had to use it. I had one that expired and we made it go off to see what it is like. The needle is very powerful. Lets hope you never have to use it.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:39 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My children both have to have epipens- they have severe food allergies- we have had the epipens since my daughter was 15 months old and my son was around a year old- we do not leave the house without them. We never know when it will escalate from full body hives and facial and eyes swelling to full out shock, its very scary.

I have never heard of being given an epipen for mosquito bites ( I think maybe ant bites) what type of reaction does the child have to mosquito bites that warrants an epipen? That is REALLY scary- with food you can have control- but those types of insects- good grief that's SCARY.
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 9:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• He swells up, turns red, gets itchy, a fever, and wezzes (sp).

It is very scary. I can't keep him away from all bugs!!
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 9:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my grandson has one but we've never used it. He's allergic to mosquito and spider bites.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:53 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ahhh- that really makes me queasy, that must be so hard to go out and play. Where we live you get eaten alive by mosquitos, oh I am soooo sorry!!!!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I have an epi pen and have had for about 4 years. I have never had to use it. Its for bee stings. My kids don't have one though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Us too. We recently moved back to South Georgia. Las Vegas didn't have all these bugs, so we didn't learn this until recently.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 9:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yeah, I'm in Georgia too!! Their TERRIBLE here!!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• My DD is10 months and we got her an Epi pen at 6 months. I haven't had to use it yet. She's allergic to a long list of foods.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Be sure you know how to use it ..Practice, practice, practice. Sounds strange but many parents freak out and end up injecting THEMSELVES with the Pen . I'd Also ask your doctor about Benadryl and liquid Pepcid for those times you know the risk of him being stung is greatest .

Remember when injecting to expose the thigh and clean when possible ,grab a big mound of flesh from the side of the thigh , press pen firmly against the skin "mound" and count to 5 slowly to ensure he gets the full dose.

Good luck and I hope he outgrows this allergy and soon.
    Jami
    http://theparentmedic.blogspot.com
    jamiinvegas

Answer by jamiinvegas at 2:09 PM on Aug. 14, 2009