Have you ever met a Scientologist?

So, I hear it more often than not, that Scientoligist are crazy, weird, off the wall, or however you want to put it. But how many people, with this mind set, have actually met one? Sat down and had a conversation with one? Would you know it if you did?

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 9:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From my experience, they aren't going to come right out and tell you all their beliefs, they have to be taught in stages, so one builds on the other. They have an ethics comittee, if one of their members does something unethical another member can report them. Not sure what the punishments would be. But the man I was dating told me alittle too much info too soon, and he got written up by another member.....the person who wrote him up was actually another friend of mine...but he felt strongly about what my then bf had done. They say if you learn things out of order then they don't make sense to you. I was at a meeting with him at their "church", I told one man there I was very uncomfortable with the way they acted towards their founder, L.Ron Hubbard. They acted like he was Jesus! They kind of laughed....they don't believe Jesus was the son of God...they don' t even believe in God as Christians know him.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Nope.  Only the celebrities who are known to be scientologists. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• no but it would be great to find out what it is really all about
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 9:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Maybe- most people I know casually don't mention their religious affiliation to me! I have definitely never sat down and discussed scientology with someone who identifies as a scientologist though. That would be interesting. I suspect that, like a lot of other beliefs, the majority are 'normal' everyday people- the crazy ones always shout the loudest and get the most press!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:38 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i dont think they are crazy, but all the things ive heard about their religion sound crazy, but that doesnt make it true. id love to talk to a Scientologist so i can find out what they REALLY believe.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I'm like beeky, I've only heard of celebrities. I would also like to hear what they believe.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes... got a weird children of the corn vibe...like they've been lobotomized... but could have been that person... all she said was she was a scientologist and special.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes. In 1998 4 of the Children and Protective Service case managers were released from their jobs for such foolishness. That was just here where I live.
    Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Shirly McClaine and some others are always on their rants about it.
    It sounds like maybe Hollywood finally got to them.
    For pity sake!
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 12:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have known a few, almost married one! lol.....their beliefs are alittle out there, IMO, but they are not crazy or mean or anything. They are pretty normal in everyday life. I did learn alittle about their beliefs from them and realized it wasn't for me. They are very intelligent people, but have no spiritual side. Not sure if I'm really explaining this right. I was raised a Christian, and have those basic beliefs....so that part of it is odd to me. But so are alot of other beliefs.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Tom Cruise should be lobotomized.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 2:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009