throw up question- i know- yuck- but im curious

has anyone ever noticed a difference between ff and bf babies throw up- and before you say here we go again let me say that no this is not a pro bf or pro ff thing. i have ff my other boys but now im bfing my baby and i noticed his throw up is thinker and more mucusy (if thats a word lol) and im wondering is it different depending on wut u feed them or is this something i should be concerned and calling my dr about? thanks in advance

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• The only difference I've ever noticed is that formula spit up stinks worse than breast milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I agree with above. I can't stand the smell of formula even in the bottle (my DS self-weaned at 10 months old and I put him on formula). But when they puke, breast milk doesn't smell, while the formula smells very sour.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:03 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• If his throw up is mucousy you need to take him to the dr could be a sign of infection somewhere.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Actually the mucus is totally normal. Babies do have a lot of mucus, and they don't have the ability to clear their throats like we can. So it comes out with spit up. Also anything dairy (with lactose) increases mucus (hence why you should not have a lot of dairy when you have a mucus filled cough) so I imagine breast milk can increase it, but it does come up with formula too. It could also be coincidence. Some babies have more than others, and your baby could just be spitting up more than his brothers.
    Also unless he is showing signs of infection, I wouldn't worry about that. But bring it up at the next appointment if you are worried. I can bet the doc will tell you its normal. I had the same issue with the twins. its getting less and less though, and the doc said it will totally clear up by 6 months, 1year at the latest.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well any time someone throws up, they are throwing up what they have ingested so if they are ingesting different substances the substance they throw up would be somewhat different.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009