My almost four year old..

My daughter has been potty trained for around a year and a half now, in the last few months she doesn't need pullups at night anymore- under one condition- we have to get her up before we go to bed, usually around 10:30 or 11:00 and take her to the potty. She goes and then stays dry the rest of the night. Does anyone else have to do this or know when she might be able to wake up herself to go one last time- so late at night she is really heavy!

sarahbrown1220

Asked by sarahbrown1220 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I never did this with my kids, but my MIL did this with my hubby when he was younger. She said she stopped, when one night she passed him in the hall. He had gotten up on his own, still mostly asleep, to go. She knew she no longer needed to take him.

I would say, try not doing it one night. If she doesn't pee the bed, than you know you don't have to do it anymore. If she does, give it a few more months, then try again.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:36 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my daughter has been fully potty trained since she was 2.5...and at night time without pullups since 3.5, i never had to get her up thruout the night to go pee...however..she just turned 5 a few months ago and probably for about the last 6 months shes been peeing her bed if i dont get her up..i have noooo idea why..but whatever..i get her up around 1am when i go to bed, she pees, and then goes right back to sleep..some kids are just heavier sleepers and dont wake up when they have to pee..and ya cant really change that, so if it takes me having to wake her up, then i guess thats just what im gonna have to do!! i was debating whether or not i should put an alarm clock in her room, have it go off in the middle of the night, and have her get up and pee by herself..but..im up anyways, so i figured thatd be pointless
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I did it with both my daughters. I'd get them up around 11 or so when I'd go to bed and have them go one last time. I transitioned out of it after a few months with each. Neither of my girls were thrilled with the idea of getting up, especially my little one. She'd whine the whole time and yell. I'd ask them to try, and after they got used to it, they started telling me if they had to go or not when asked. I finally decided to listen to them and give it a try to let them sleep without my interruption. I did do two things that gave me a piece of mind though...one, I made sure I limited their drinks to maybe a sip or two after 6pm. Second, I went to the medical supply store and bought a bed cover (it's vinyl, and you zip their single sized beds in to it)...saved the bed and my sanity when they would have an accident. Much quicker to clean up and get back in bed and deal with laundry in the morning!
    dimplz125

Answer by dimplz125 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 14, 2009