How do you stop a lifetime habit?

Of biting nails- or its more like stripping them. I rarely bite them i strip/shred them with my teeth basically (and bite the corners off). Oh and I cant do the whole fake nail thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I stopped by telling myself that if I could resist for 30 times then I'd be cured of the habit. So when I found my hand traveling toward my face, I'd put it down, and count 1, then the second time, 2, and so forth. By the time I hit about 20 or so, I was cured. The thing was to make myself conscious that I was even doing it, then realizing that having nice nails, not manicured even, although that might help, was better than the nails I had before. I also kept an emery board with me to smooth out rough places before I was tempted to smooth with my teeth. Instead of painting your nails, try using a buffer. You can make them nice and shiny without a layer of something you'll be tempted to bite off. You can still break the habit with the counting method that I described for my former nail biting problem.

Answer by Bmat at 11:15 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The same way you stop any habit, really. You just have to really want to stop. And then do something else. The next time you find yourself biting them off, go to the bathroom and get a nailclipper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• i wish i knew!! im not as bad as alot of people but i am a nail biter & havent ever been able to stop.. but i was able to quit smoking! lol...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I forgot to mention that it was 30 times without biting. If I bit, then I'd have to start over, but I managed without having to start over. It works!

Answer by Bmat at 11:16 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The only thing that did it for me was when I got braces. It hurt too much too bite... Now I am trying to break a cuticle biting habit. What I do is keep my nails and cuticles well groomed. I'm not tempted to bite/gnaw if there aren't any catches or rough spots or anything.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I used to bite my nails, and do the peeling thing! lol

What finally made me stop was really seriously thinking of how many germs were under my nails, being aware of everything my hands touched during the day, and although you can wash your hands, there is still stuff under your nails, unless you scrub like a surgeon! lol I just kept reminding my self of this. It worked for me....I tried for years. I now can grow my nails fairly long!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• try getting the stuff the have in the baby area for thumb suckers, it tastes awful and it may help you resist the urger to put your nails in your mouth
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• COLD TURKEY is the only way. My daughter was a nail biter for 5 years---she decided it was time to stop that ugly habit and just did it. WILLPOWER!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009