Who decides what is hate?

So if you think that gays and lesbiens shouldn't marry you are considrered a hate monger? Now flip that around and say if you hate the people who think gays and lesbians shouldn't marry, aren't you hateful too?

Same for abortion. If you are for choice you are a baby killer and hateful. Flip that and if you are prolife you are hateful towards all those women that want abortion.

I see a lot of people saying that White supremisists are hateful. Are then Black supremisists too?

When it comes to freedom of speech it seems to me that both sides should get their say without being labled as hate speech or hateful. But it also seems that the ones calling others hateful are the ones that enjoy espousing the virtues of freedom of speech, liberals. So who gets to decide and why can't both sides say what they want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• hate is a wasted emotion that we have...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 10:44 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Race supremacy organizations are based on hate, OP, that is the definition, black or white. Calling other groups hateful is also included in free speech.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think most extremists exist in some sort of hate. Any time you put yourself into a situation where you only see things black/white.....there ends up being some form of hate. Example - I love animals, volunteer with SPCA, but PETA? Freaks. I won't support anything they do. I think they are hate mongers masked in a good cause.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:50 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• OP ~ But WHY are they called hateful stacey? Doesn't it occur to anyone that they think that your (and my) beliefs of race equality are equally as irrational and awful? So you get to decide that they are hateful. I understand that its your free speech to call them hateful, but there are laws being put into place to restrict "hate" speech. So when/if the pendulum swings the other way will the current deciders be ok if the group decided what the first group says is hate and there for outlawed speech?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• White supremacy = We're better than you, therefor, you must die.

Black supremacy = We are a strong people, and we will come back from this.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I guess which ever is in control at the time wont that be lovely? sarcasm
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• t's called hate speech because there is hate in it somewhere.. Either the speaker speaks with hate or the listener responds with hate.
    For instance, I honestly believe that people fall in love. Who they fall in love with, be it opposite or same gender, is not an issue. How they act upon those feelings could be an issue.
    Now tell me what you think I'm saying and you will see where your anger/frustration/hate comes from.

BOTH types of relationships could be abusive. And that's where it becomes and issue.
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 8:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Calling things a hate crime or a person hate monger is just as trite as calling someone a racist. The people who throw these labels around so easily are deflecting and distracting the issue. Usually they know you are probably right in what you are saying, thinking or feeling which means they are probably wrong. Better to call someone names than admit you are wrong - right?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Jesse, I agree. But that doesn't mean that we all have to have the same views on everything. Does it?
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 1:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009