What do women prefer natural child delivery or c-section. What do you moms recommend. Also what were your recovery time for each.

bamagurl1988

Asked by bamagurl1988 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wanted an all natural childbirth ( I have a very high pain tolerance) but my body decided that it didnt want an all natural childbirth. I had a c-section (with a spinal block) and the recovery time for me was about 3 days. After the surgery, I didnt need any pain meds and I was ready to go home the next morning but had to stay for the full 3 days. The doctor that released me on my last day there said that in her 25 years of doing this, she has only had one other person like me. She said she was amazed. When I got home, I just went about business as usual (except I had a newborn). Now on the other hand, my friend had a c-section and she thought she was dying and stayed for 4 days in the hospital and lived on pain meds for the whole 8 weeks she was on maternity leave. It took her a long time to fell like she was recovered.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:52 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a a vaginal birth with an epi and enjoyed every minute of the birth! The epi wore of after an hour and I was able to take a shower and relax with my baby! I loved it.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had c-sections for all 3 of my kids. The recovery time was different on each one...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I did it vaginally and I had the epi, it was good. I had to be induced on Monday to high bp.
    It just felt like passing the BIGGEST poop ever!lol
    I also had to have the 4th dregree cut, which requires soo many stiches.
    They say it could take 4-6 weeks of bleeding and I dont know how long for the stiches to go away?
    The reason I was cut that much was I guess I was too small and they didnt want a bad tear and it was my first baby.
    bennysmommy816

Answer by bennysmommy816 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Define "recovery time," LOL! I was literally up and walking around after (vaginal) birth. Everyone else left, husband was asleep, but I walked around for ours carrying my newborn. Wonderful memories!!
    But if we're talking back in the sack with DH, a few weeks.
    It went well!!
    As a doula I have discovered that the more natural, the easier to recover. Interventions usually add recovery time.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a c section. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really wish I could have had him naturally. I got way too many drugs during the c section so afterwards I was too out of it to care about anything. I was so tired and out of it that it was hard for me to even hold my son. The only good thing about me having a c section last time is that I will know when my baby will be born this time so my family will be able to be here with me. I didn't think the recovery was too hard. I didn't take pain meds after I got home. I do remember that I couldn't find a comfortable way to sleep because it hurt so bad but I was still able to do everything else normally, just a little bit slower.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I had a more or less natural vaginal delivery. It's hard to say what the recovery time was because there was an intervention done after my son was born that my body still hasn't fully recovered from. I was out and about in three days but emotionally, I didn't really recover until my son was around ten months or so and like I said, my body still has bad days.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:47 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I've had four so far.......the first one was at home w/ a midwife, vaginally, no drugs - easy-peasy, went to a family potluck the next day.
    The second one was the same, except the baby had the cord around her neck 4 times, so I lost a lot of blood and took weeks-months to recover (just from the blood loss though, not the delivery itself).
    Our third was in a hospital, vaginally, w/ an epidural (which was awesome!) - again an easy recovery.
    The fourth however was different - had her in a hospital, got an epi, but then due to a lot of unexplained bleeding (placenta previa) had to have an emergency c-section. Recovery was a bear. It was much more painful, took much longer, retained a lot more fluid than with the others. Two years later, the scar still feels numb. Of course getting her here safely was the important thing.
    Now we're expecting our 5th, but unfortunately our practice doesn't offer a VBAC or I'd choose that.
    yeager_79

Answer by yeager_79 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It's hard to know,which one would of been better,but I had always chosen with each of my three kids,to do it naturally with meds,of course. My recovery time was quick with all three. Not being able to do alot of activities,such as lifting,can be hard after a c-section. I've also heard that is takes longer to heal from the c-section,but I don't know. Every women is different. There will be recover time for both,but I recommend doing it naturally,so you can hold the baby right after delivery. But really,every woman has her own preference.
    ajfrizz9

Answer by ajfrizz9 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I've had both & I prefer natural by far.

My 1st child was born by c-section. My recovery (I kid you not) took me 3 months. It was 4 weeks til I could walk around like normal, 6 weeks til I could resume regular household duties, and 8 weeks before I could sleep in my own bed. It was HORRIBLE!

My 2nd child was born by 100% natural VBAC (no meds, no induction agents, no interventions) and I was up that day moving around. I only had a bad back ache, but that was because I labored in an odd position (bc of how my baby was positioned in the womb). But other than that, I was fine & dandy and doing things like normal!
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009