Can I drink green tea that has ginseng in it while i'm pregnant?

I'm not sure if the ginseng or the green tea is safe for pregnancy...anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should not be drinking green tea during pregnancy. It messes with how you absorb folate which can cause birth defects.

As for ginseng the info kind of goes back and forth and it's unclear if it's safe or not. I'd be wary though, however it effects you it will also effect the baby in the same way.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Yes, drink green tea and don't worry about it. Seriously.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Ginseng has been shown to cause birth defects in rats so right now they are advising pregnant women to avoid it.  Here is a helpful link with lots of info.                                                                    http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20030924/early-pregnancy-risk-with-ginseng
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Right now Drs are saying to limit your intake of green tea since it disrupts your absorption of folate, folate helps to prevent neural tube defects. Here is a link with  some info for you.             http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-24-2006-87222.asp

Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• ive been drinking green tea an i have no problems with my baby. so i think its safe to drink green tea at least it is for me! ask your dr :)
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 2:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009