Okay Ladies I'm confused...

Okay Ladies I'm confused about vaccinations? Should I stay on scheduale or should I adopt a delayed scheduale? My son is 9 months and I have been hearing a lot of scary things about the 12 month shots. I'm a first time mom and I just want to make the best choice. I would love ya'lls thoughts and opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I plan on getting my son his shots. Everyone I know had their shots and they are fine, even the younger kids.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 11:18 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I delayed the mmr only because this is the one I found that had more of a connection to autism. I will be giving it when she is 3 yo.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:19 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• my daughter is almost 3 and she is fully vaccinated on schedule. The only side effect she ever had was the area around the shot being a little sore for a day or two afterwards. All of my friends have had thier kids vaccinated and never had any problems.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:20 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• This is touchy, but I personally feel like preventing serious diseases outweighs the 'negative' points to vaccines.
    I guess I just feel better knowing Im trying to prevent these illnesses instead of worrying about one in a million side effects.
    just my opinion
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:21 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I think you need to join an education group about vaccines.

This is a very personal decision, and us here on CM should not be influencing you in anyway, unless it's providing research and references.

Anyone can sit here and say "My kid is vaccinated, and he's fine" but there are kids who were fully vaccinated and ARE NOT fine. It's up to you to outweigh the risks and benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The most you can do is research it and then make the choice that you think is right.
    I did research of my own and didn't feel the the Autism risk was legit... although I still worry with each vaccination my son gets that something might go wrong. But if he didn't get the shots then I would worry about him being exposed to illnesses I don't want him to get. You might think the risks are too great and not get it... it's all up to you!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• vaccinations were probably the hardest thing we've dealt with for our son... in the end, we did end up getting him vaccinated, and we did delay some of his shots, especially the mmr. It's a personal choice, and it's never a fun one to make... but that's our job as parents.
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Most diseases that vaccines prevent are easily treatable. People died from disease commonly before vaccines because of poor hygiene and health before they got sick. Mumps used to be something everyone got, and usually had no problem with. Now there is a lot of fear associated with it. I got chicken pox along with lots of kids and we are fine, but now there has been lot of propaganda scaring people about getting it, as if it some terrible life threatening ailment. It's chicken pox for goodness sake.
    All of my children have had whooping cough. It wasn't too fun, but it really wasn't that bad, and now they have lifelong immunity. Eh. I guess you just have to do your research.
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions/forumdisplay.php?s=cd0a04504a989bf3a08bf200e0c6d384&f=47 this is a helpful resource, refers to lots of things and weighs pros and cons ... good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son had his shots on time. His 12 month shots didnt effect him one bit. There was no difference in him than any of his other shots.
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 12:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son was on a delayed schedule from birth and almost died after his second DTaP dose and per doctor's orders we were to wait until he was 3 years old to give anymore so I started doing research and found this journal post that helped me a lot. I have since decided to not vaccinate at all and my second has had no vaccines at all and is now 2 years old. Yes lots of people get the vaccines and have no apparent side effects, but do they really? Is the rise in so many autoimmune disorders like juvenile diabetes somewhat to blame for the assault on the immune system at such an early age? Check out this journal and use it to help you do some research. Keep in mind that you cannot take the vaccine out so if you are not sure when it comes time for the 12 month appointment tell the doctor you want to wait on the vaccines until you do more research.
    http://www.cafemom.com/answers/270068/Okay_Ladies_Im_confused
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009