What activities should I do at my son's first b-day party?!?!?!?!

there will be mostly adults, some with kids, some without, and my family. It is in September so the weather can be iffy as far as any water games outside (unlike summer!). There is a school playground 1 block away and we have a good sized back yard. My son can walk, if that matters. Also, I don't want to serve a meal, just the cake. I asked this before, but only got 1 response. this user mentioned scrapbooking, and I would love more details on that, too. However, we are on a budget. Thanks!!!

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO...1st, 2nd, and even 3rd birthdays have nothing to do with the kid and are all about the parents (mostly the mom).

When our girl turned 1, we had nothing more than an extra name on the February/March family birthday cake. We let he shove it in her face. And that's it.

A 1 year old doesn't know or care it's his/her birthday. Don't waste any time or money on a big party.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Nothing to overwhelming. I had my first child's 1st birthday at chuck-e-cheese and it was way to much. The biggest thing is to give him a big piece of cake and let him dig in. If you have access to a video cam that you'll wanta record its a real cute memory.
    AmberNicoley

Answer by AmberNicoley at 12:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son turned 1 in July. We had a huge party at a local pavilion with food, cake and lots of presents. It was way too much for him! He barely made it through half the presents and wouldnt go near anybody. Keep it low key, and most importantly dont mess up the nap schedule!!
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 12:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Balloons, they don't know or care that it's their birthday but young children are absolutely fascinated with balloons on the ground. You just have to make sure they are watched closely because of the whole choking hazard. And they are so cheap too, no need for helium at this age.
    AFMommy2356

Answer by AFMommy2356 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I tied balloons to some ribbon (present kind) and hung them in groups of three to five balloons... I got some of the punching ballons super cheep and added them randomly to the bunches... So cool looking !!! They were the highlight for sure .... Low key is best ... only a few guests...we opened a present every 20 to 30 min and watched the kids play....He got a bubble maker as a gift , and it was the perfect combo with the hanging ballons... !!...
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 5:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• At my son's first birthday, I brought a blow-up pool, a bag of balls, and let the little ones go at it! We also had sidewalk chalks and bubbles. The little ones had fun with the sidewalk chalks. If the weather is still especially warm, set up a small pool for the young children to stomp through. Otherwise, just let your one-year-old have a huge piece of cake to him/herself! The simpler, the better... especially for a first birthday.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2009