Cant sleep & very worried.

My ds hasent been feeling well for the past few days. Running a 100.1 fever at night, not running any during the day, but has complained of his tummy hurting & has had extreamly bad diareah (spelled right??), & he wont eat anything at all. I havent been able to take him to the doctor bc my dh works on a rig very far away & I have no transportation or friends or family to help me out. So I waited till today to call to make him a doctors appt that is for tomorrow at 10. My dh just got in tonight. But what really worries me is that the past couple of times he has went poo he has had blood in it. I know that its something to worry about & yeah I have a doctors appt made for in the morning but Im to the point that Im super scared & I want to take him to the er but my dh thinks he will be fine till in the morning......But Im not to sure & I cant quit worring about it. Im to the point that Im in tears.....What would you do????

texasmomma08

Asked by texasmomma08 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would take him to the emergency room immediately, and you need to. Blood in feces can be a sign of internal bleeding, and some things cannot wait. I don't care what my husband said, I'd call an ambulance if I had to to make sure my baby was okay. Hope it all turns out fine, but I'm seriously get him help ASAP.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would suggest going right now as well - blood in stool can be a sign of something very serious! Good luck!
    sarahbrown1220

Answer by sarahbrown1220 at 11:43 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Personally I would rather be safe then sorry, get him to the ER and have your worries put to rest.

Blood can serious but then again it could be just irritation from the diarrhea. Make sure he is not getting dehydrated! good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• I would too not wait, the internal organs could be an issue and blood in the stool is not something I would guess about... go to the ER and put your mind to rest and your little one to feeling better... best of luck
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 11:48 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• Call the doctor's office. There should be someone taking calls.

Sometimes there is blood in diarrhea. It's probably nothing to worry about. What you do need to worry about is dehydratiion.

You need to make a plan so you can get your child medical care when he needs it. If he is on medicaid there is free transportation available. Kids can get on medicaid pretty easily in most states now. If you are poor enough to not have a car you should qualify for medicaid for him. If he can't get on medicaid you need to set aside money to call a cab or medical transport.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:51 PM on Aug. 12, 2009

• The problem with going to the ER is you have to wait a long time and your son will be exposed to a lot of germs at a time when his immunity is low. Do you think he is sick enough to admit? If not then there is nothing the ER can do that can't be arranged at the doctor's office in the morning.

Parents are too quick to rush to the ER. Always call the doctor's office first. Only go to the ER if you think your child is sick enough to admit, stiches are needed, there is a breathing problem, or a bone is broken. Don't go for things like ear ache, sore throat, fever, headache, and other minor problems.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:57 PM on Aug. 12, 2009