Who is responsible for the state of inner city school and inner city conditions?

Do these areas start out bad or are they made unlivable and unteachable places by those living there? This will probably be considered a racist question but it's not. White people aren't going into predominantly minority neighborhoods and upping the crime rate and trashing the schools and running out the teachers.

I ask because we have an area of town where my mom grew up that has become predominantly AA since then that my AA friends tell me to not go near, they won't go near it. So who is responsable for the high crime there and in inner cities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Aug. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow. No one wants to touch this. I don't think it's a race as much as a socio-eco thing. People live where they can afford. In certain areas, maybe it's one race. But when people are broke, and struggling, they deal with things that those who are not don't deal with. Not any excuse, certainly.

But if there are not a lot of homeowners, not a lot of money coming in for the schools. The state is forced to make up the diff, and the state may not have that. We have that here - 3 school dist. in the metro area, and people lie, cheat, and steal to get into ours, because it's the only decent one of the bunch.

I have to go through the area served by one of the other SDs, and it is a little scary. Run down, no pride of property, people of all races hanging out......I really think it's socio-economic more than anything else. Hard to worry about math HW when you are wondering when you will eat....or if someone will driveby
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think if you live in an area with crappy schools, you need to become active in your school and with your kid. The more that parents are involved with their kids, the more chance the kids will have to succeed. The crappy school will not hold down or back a kid with parents behind them. My dad was military, and we always lived in shit areas. Went to bad schools. Both graduated high school with 3.8 and above, and college with 3.0 and above. It is due, in part, to my parents.

So to the question, the people who live there. It's their place to take back the schools, demand the education for their kids they want to see. And to be involved enough that if the school can't do it for whatever reason, the kid will still succeed, because the parent will make sure of it.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 12:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Honestly, I put a lot of blame on the government. They have fostered several generations with social programs such as welfare, housing and food stamps. When people don't work they don't have a value of "self." When people don't have to provide for themselves they can't learn responsiblity for self. It is hard to develope self-esteem when everything you have is provided by the governement. It only nurtures self doubt and anger and the feeling of being "kept down." Why would people have the drive to "get out" when they are paid to "stay in?"

I also think the breakdown of the American family is to blame. Two stable parents are almost essential for a child. I was raised by a single Mom and my childhood was anything but easy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Op~ I was thinking the same thing. I think people have opinions but are so worried about being called racist they don't want to touch it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well said yourspecial...that is what I think as well.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was really hoping for more responses to this since so many people are quick to feel so sorry for people in this situation, and I contend that the people who live in these places and and go to theses schools bear the lions share of the responsibility for the situation they are in.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• City and State governments and the people who elect them are primarily responsible for letting communities get into such a deplorable state.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Anon:02 - I agree with you. If you have to live somewhere where the schools are not great, you are responsible for moving them in a different direction. DC is a prime example - the place needs massive help, and after Marion Barry was caught on tape doing drugs, he was re-elected. I am all for the rights of people to do what they want, but seriously? A man who is on crack is who you want running your local govt?????

Free will aside, c'mon. I lost a lot of empathy for the problems DC was facing after that.

I still think, though, that it's your job as a parent to get involved and push, at the least, your kid to excel.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The war on drugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It is the fault of the people who live there. You don't have to have a lot of money or a high paying job to be responsible, teach your children manners, be involved in your community, practice a sense of sobriety, graduate from high school, keep your living environment clean, not have 5 children with 5 different dads, marry and raise your family with a sense of belonging and love, and obey the law. All of these are free. It takes the same amount of effort to put trash in a can as it does to throw it on the ground. It takes less effort to paint a wall a solid color than it does to paint graffiti, and you were buying the paint anyway. It takes a little effort to wash the walls of your home and keep things clean. Many of these people are waiting for the government to come do it for them. Haven't they realized yet that no one is coming?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009