I don't want a spanking debate, I just have questions.

So...recently I've discovered that my son doesn't respond to spanking. For example : I've spanked him numerous times for banging on my computer. He knows better, he just likes playing with it I guess. Needless to say, spanking doesn't work. What are some other effective techniques? Time out is a joke. He's two, might not understand that. Any suggestions?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When you figure that one out, let me know.
    I just used repetition and uselss time outs but at least when he was in time out, I got a time out too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Try taking his hands away from the computer, hold on to them, look him in the eye and say "No" say it firmly and find him another toy. Unconventional toys may work, tupperware, pots and pans or even an old keyboard he could play with. He is testing you, and wants to see how you will react. Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 12:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Cover it. I know it's not teaching him to stop, I guess I'm just clueless at getting kids to stop doing things they are determined to do. For me it was the cat food, my son would not stay out of the cat's food and water and nothing worked, I finally gave up and found a new home for it on the counter.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i tryed time out @ 2 and it didnt work much
    around the age of age 2 she got the hint,so start now! lol
    another idea is put him in a playpen,something he CANT get out of.
    and if hes 2-2 mins
    3-3mins and so on...thats what i do...she used 2 run outta time out,OH MY GOD it was hard n fustrating and took a yr to get down,but she listens,or its bedtime....the threat of bedtime alone scares her!
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 12:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• take away a toy, time outs are understood at that age you just have to explain why they are there (and if he comes out put him back in til he sits there the whole time), give him an older keyboard he can play with while you're on your computer, take away tv. at 2 they are testing to see how far you will let them go, just keep punishing and eventually he'll figure it out. when he turns 3 its even more fun b/c then he can talk back more.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If my 21 month old doesn't listen to "no", I explain to him that he doesn't get a snack/ get to watch elmo/ get to color/ etc... for the rest of the day (I take away one thing- not all things). I don't know if he gets it, but when he asks for a snack or for "elmo" later in the day, I explain that because he didn't listen to me he lost some of his privlidges.
    Also, removing him from the temptation works. Taking him out for even 15 minutes is usually enough to calm him down a little bit. We have a kiddie pool set up outside, a quick dip and he all but forgets about our computer (usually). Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• He doesn't watch tv. I don't let him to begin with...but I can try these things. It just seems like time out is what people say doesn't work.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Time out worked for us...but you really have to stick to it. You may have to keep him there, or keep putting him back until he gets the idea he will sit there for 2 minutes. I read a book called Positive Discipline for Preschoolers...it has great ideas, and helps you to understand your kid is not setting out to be bad, or make you nuts...they are just being what they are...2. Good luck. I admit I have cracked my lil ones on the but but only for major life threatening behavior, for the most part I think hitting them just lets them know you are bigger than they are and u believe in violence. We tend to turn around and spank them for hitting. Why do we hit kids, to teach kids that hitting is wrong? Seems kind of silly dosen't it? But ever watch Super Nanny? I think some of those kids deserve an ole fashioned ass whoopin lol!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2009