How do you feel about contagious illness?

Ok, please give me an opinion in this situation. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with mono today. She has had it since before July 21st as that is when she first had symptoms. The quick test came back negative but the blood test came back positive (1 week later). My 6 year old has not been tested but we are treating her as if she has mono as it has been so long and we know she has used the same cup, plate, etc as her sister.

Here is the question...if you had 4 children, one of them only 10 months old, would you allow them to be around my daughters? Knowing that one forsure has mono and the other most likely does? Also knowing that kids will be kids and there will probably be some slip up of drinking out of the same cup, giving kisses, etc?

baghagmom

Asked by baghagmom at 12:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Health

• I for sure wouldn't let the ten month old around them until they aren't contagious anymore. Mono can be dangerous for kids-especially the younger ones. I would move the two daughters into the same room if possible and just make sure they know not to sneeze without covering their mouth and to wash their hands really well all the time.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• no way, my kids would not be around them. especially not as young as 10 months old. diseases scare the shit out of me.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Is the 10 month old your child? Right. I'd call the ped and ask how dangerous mono is to a baby. It is possible to avoid getting the whole family sick but unlikely I'd think. IDK, ask the doc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No, the 10 month old is my ex-husband's girlfriend's child. Only the 2 I spoke of are mine.
    baghagmom

Answer by baghagmom at 12:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When my son has the flu, I keep him away from the baby....I keep my husband, or myself away too. And I really wish people wouldn't go out in public when they have these illnesses, or send their kids out either.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 1:44 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thank you for your answers. I agree, I was just verifying that I am not crazy. Have a great day!
    baghagmom

Answer by baghagmom at 7:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No, I wouldn't want a baby around them, HOWEVER, you cannot stop your daughters from going to him unless you have something from the doctor and it's not going to be in violation of the court orders!

If you tell him that they have mono and he voluntarily give up his visitation (if this is what you're hinting at) then okay, but you canNOT refuse to allow him visitation with his own kids. And if he has had them since she was first showing symptoms...then the baby has already been exposed anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thank you anonymous, I have an extensive background in the field of law so no, I was not saying I was going to stop him from seeing my daughters. I was just wondering how other mom's felt about it. I know that I would not bring a baby around a child with mono, I was just making sure I was not the only one. I am not part of the baby in question's life but, as a human being, I am concerned that his mother let him be around my daughters.
    baghagmom

Answer by baghagmom at 10:35 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree with you Baghagmom. What kind of mother would knowingly expose (or keep exposing) their children to such an illness. Maybe she is the type of woman that doesn't care......good luck.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:29 PM on Aug. 14, 2009