I am 40 weeks today and still no signs of labor. what can i do?

ive tried walking, sex spicy food nothing helps.

reggiboo

Asked by reggiboo at 1:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well they can induce, but I don' think they will do that until you are 42wks. Has the doctor stripped your membranes yet?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• no my doctor doesnt do anything ever except check the heart rate of the baby, no matter what i say, she never does anything, everythnig i say is normal and i just have to wait. she hasnt even checked position of baby unless i ask her to.
    reggiboo

Answer by reggiboo at 1:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OMG I feel for you, my youngest DD was born at 41 1/2 weeks, I went to the doctor at wk 40 and he told me I just had to wait... like you I tried everything... walking, sex, tea, spicy food, I was even lifting my 2 yo daughter and taking long walks with her in the stroller, and nothing worked... only time, when I finally gave up, I talked to the baby and told her that she could come out whenever she was ready... after all it was her time, not mine... so just wait patiently and think that every minute they spend in the womb is part of they development. Take care!!!
    Avy1930

Answer by Avy1930 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Unless you and your dr. decide to induce all you can really do is wait. Take comfort in the fact that your baby is putting on all the little finishing touches. Your babies brain secrets a hormone that starts labor when your babies lungs are ready. So I know you're huge and uncomfortable but you'll forget all that when you hold your healthy baby in your arms. It's worth the wait isn't it?
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• 40 weeks is only the mid-point of the average length, right? So if you deliver between 38-42 weeks then you're still within the average~ it's okay. (Many moms birth at 37 or 43... same thing!)
    The home remedies are meant to nudge a body that is already becoming ready. If it isn't working for you take comfort in that~ a sign that your body is saying "No! Not ready just yet!" and you can wait a bit more... ;-)

Is this your first baby?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had sex the night before i went into labor, i was two days over due. I heard sex induces it
    H91king

Answer by H91king at 8:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Stop stressing. Relax. Labor will happen. You are quite in the normal range. It is a rare thing and good thing to have an OB who doesn't induce at the drop of a hat. Be patient.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i feel for u I'm 40 weeks today too and nothing and nothing I've tried everything too she just don't want to come out . everyone has been making me walk around the park and up and down the stairs. i just want her to come out...lol

honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 9:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I went a week over. On the last day of June I had my final OB visit to talk about being induced and I was no where near labor. July 1st my ex took me for the bumpiest ride in our car, he rubbed my feet (stimulates contractions) and to my OB's advice I stimulated my nipples (again stimulates contractions) by 8pm I was in labor.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 1:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• oil of evening primrose. look it up online, and use as a vaginal suppository. it's about $20 at a healthfood store. worked for me!
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 10:15 AM on Aug. 14, 2009