i am having problems getting my son to latch on so i have been using formula and a breast pump and suggustions?

liena09

Asked by liena09 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My suggestions would be to contact the LLL(LeLeche League) near you for a consultation with those ladies. They should be able to help you to correct you sons latching problems. I think you son may have developed a nipple preference since getting milk from a bottle is far less work for him. I would also suggest trying to latch him on the breast as much as possible before offering a bottle. You can look up videos online on proper latching techniques. Good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would find someone to help get him on. Did the hospital you delivered at have a lactation specialist? Maybe they could help you. Or maybe just a friend that breastfed can trouble shoot with you.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• With my first - she did great on the right breast. When I went to feed her on my left I had to hold her like a football - on the side.

My son liked me to lay down on the bed to feed him.

Espress milk on your nipple and then rub it on his mouth - this helps too.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 1:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had to use something called a nipple shield to get my son to latch on at first. My lactation consultant recomended it after several failed attempts at breastfeeding in the hospital. I was able to find one in the baby section of my local grocery store (Meijer Stores). My son now latches with out it but it was a life saver in the very begining.
    rpggurleli

Answer by rpggurleli at 1:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If you really want to BF, you need to stop giving the bottles. It causes nipple confusion. They suck differently on a bottle than you. The nipple shield, different positions, and trying to feed BEFORE he gets hungry and starts crying are a few ideas. If he latches incorrectly the first time, REMOVE him. The worst pain in the world (even greater than giving birth LOL) is trying to BF a baby with red, swollen, cracked nipples. OMG! Good luck!
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have been having breastfeeding problems too. I noticed i started to have problems after I gave my baby a pacifer. I would only use it briefly, but it seemed to cause problems. I then got her a nuk pacifer, which is supposed to be the shape of the nipple when a baby breastfeeds. I too had to supplement with formula because she wasn't gaining weight, so I got the nuk nipples for the bottles. I then read on http://www.bfar.org/nipples-print.html that the nuk nipples do what they say, but they also simulate a shallow latch, which explains the problem I was having. I then switched back to using an avent newborn slow-flow nipple, and my latching problems for the most part have gone away. another helpful website is www.kellymom.com. I do think you should talk to a breastfeeding consultant/nurse because they will be very helpful in figuring out the problem. Incorrect positioning can definitely cause latch problems too.
    motherdiva29

Answer by motherdiva29 at 2:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• cup ur breast to make it cone shape(kind of pinch ur nipple to fit in his mouth,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• breast shields saved my nipps!!
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:43 AM on Aug. 14, 2009