What happened to my dog?

All of a sudden he's VERY gassy and it smells so bad. He's never had gas in the 4 months that we've had him. Could it be that we switched to cheap, Fry's brand dog food? I hope that this isn't bad for him. :/ We had to go with store brand, Science Diet is just way too much with how the market's been. I hope to soon go back to the more expensive stuff, but it probably won't be for a few months if marketing goes right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, it's probably the change in food. And honestly, Science Diet isn't the greatest anyway. Try California Natural; it's more expensive, but has more nutrients, so you end up feeding less of it and saving money. Example: my dog is 70 lbs, was on Science Diet, and we had to feed him 4 cups a day. Since switching to California Natural, we only have to feed him 2 cups a day. When looking for a good quality dog food, you want something with no corn/fillers or by-products. Go to naturapet.com to do a dog food comparison, and find out where you can get their products. They also make a food called Healthwise which is very reasonably priced and still great quality.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It is more than likely the food. Cheaper brands use cheap fillers like corn, and dogs are carnivores. They would need to eat more of the cheap food to get the same nutrition in the expensive food. Don't worry too much though, you are doing the best you can do. Just watch him closely and make sure he's not puking or having lose bowels. A little is totally normal from time to time for anyone!=)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• ****Oops... I mean a little GAS is totally normal! SORRY! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• There are other brands of food out there that are higher quality but won't stretch your budget. At TCS I buy taste of the wild for about $25 dollars. You end up feeding less of it because its more nutritious. So it actually lasts longer. Try this website. www.dogfoodanalysis.com Check out what is available near you and look the foods up on that site. It will explain whats in it that is good and what is bad.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Taste of the wild will run you $25 for a 15 pound bag $42 for a 30 pound bag.

As for the gas you can use a probitic powder additive to the food. Even your pricey dog foods can cause gas NOT just the cheaper brands. The probiotics enzymes help with digestion and get rid of the gas. Our dogs are on Innova ($62 a bag)..one still had gas from the "quality food". The probiotics did the trick.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 8:44 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• hmmm...my dog gets different dog food than my brothers...dantes (my dog) gets cheap either dads or purenia and tyson(my brothers) get beniful...now when i run out of dantes food and i have to use tysons dante gets the farts and they stink but when i switch him back to the cheaper stuff it goes away...once in awhile when im feeling rich i buy better quiality stuff but i always give dante just 1 cup 2x a day no matter the brand or quality and he does just fine...no tummy upset or loose stool...idk but it works for us.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It's definitely the food. Try Iams, it's not too expensive and it's better for them.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I almost bet you anything that is the problem. The cheap brand of pet is not the best for our pets for many reasons. You can get your dog Beano (for humans but safe for dogs) and it helps kee the gas away.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 12:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i had the same problem. the cheap stuff caused gas. now i buy a brand with a mid-level price since i can't afford the really good stuff and don't want them eating total crap.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 2:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Um yeah, crap food will give your dog gas. If you can't afford good quality dog food for your dog then maybe you should see about finding your dog a new home. I would never buy crap food for my dogs. I spend $100 a month to feed them and it's worth every penny!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2009