My 23mth old son, doesnt talk much

maybe 10 or 11 words, doesnt answer to his name all the time, but if i say "here" as if to give him something, he turns around really quick and comes over. everything else seems ok. he plays well with others, is affectionate, tries to sing along to some songs likes to color, play with his cars and hugs his stuff dog, do you think there might be a problem? we're going to the Ped. next month. but wanted other mommies input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was having similar problems with my 2 year old son. I was concerned about autism. I told his pediatrician who referred me to a regional center nearby. They evaluated him and said that they don't think he's autistic, but he does qualify for speech therapy, occupational therapy, and early intervention. Let your pediatrician know your concerns and see what he/she recommends.
    Best Wishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had the same concerns about my dd. Then at 26 months, she just started talking up a storm. I no longer have ANY worries! lol
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• well my son is only 11 months and is a late talker so he is in occupational therapy and speach therapy, which where i live is free.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 2:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• 11 mo talking? wow mine just babble once in a while i'll understand a word or a phrase but they mostly nod and grunt relax he'll be talking by the time he gets to college :)
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my son was about 2 when he finally talked. my nephew is autistic so we were really just waiting for a diagnosis of autism at any time also. but then one saturday morning he started talking in words rather than baby talk and never shut up since. motormouth big time.
    anyway-just keep talking to him without baby talk. use adult language and if you can during one on one time put his hands over your mouth while you are talking to him and sometimes when you are playing put the bottoms of his feet on your lips while you are talking to him. the nerves on the palms of hands and bottoms of babies' feet are very sensitive and can pick up mouth movements better than eyes and ears.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Eleven month olds aren't expected to speak at all, just babble. If you were told your 11 month old should be TALKING, you were lied to.

As for 23 months, he should be saying more. Call Early Intervention. They'll help you with evaluations and recommend therapy if needed. At 2 years, they should be saying about 50 words and starting to use 2-3 word phrases. You do NOT need to wait until you talk to your pediatrician to call EI. And it's free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• 11 months? My son didn't say anything at 11 months -and he wasn't much of a babbler either..I was concerned about my son also - he would only say 1/2 words a couple single words but not many at 18 momths, then 19 months its like he woke up one day and GOT IT. Does he understand things you are talking about? like if you were to ask him to go get something, would he know what most things are?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP here, if he climbs on something, I'll tell him to get down, he'll get down. if i ask him to throw some out or to stop doing something he'll understand. but when i call him by his name, he almost never responds, but will respond if I say here or look at this, but not his name. i'm afraid of autism, i dont know much about it, i've been on sites for it but i'm still a bit confused and scared.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• An 11 month old in speech therapy? That makes no sense at all since they aren't even supposed to be talking then. Anyway i wouldn't worry so much about it since he does respond to other questions/commands. There is more to communication than just how many words a child uses...are you sure he doesn't respond to his name on purpose? (my son does that sometimes).
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• op here i dont know i was thinking that maybe he's just ignoring me. i hope so. im so worried. he seems so normal to me, i hope hes ok. thanks all for your help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2009