Why do I lose the motivation and not the weight?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get these bursts of motivation now and then, excercise, eat well, start shedding a few pounds.. committ to it in my mind.

then about a week later I start eating like crazy, drinking like crazy.. gaining it all back and then some.

it's a vicious cycle. how do I STAY motivated? I really really really want to lose weight. Like 40 lbs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Well, when it comes down to it, only YOU can find the motivation and self-discipline to get the job done.

About four years ago I wanted to (and successfully) lost 15lbs. On my computer, I made monthly calenders, where everyday I documented what I ate for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, plus what I did for exercise that day. Being able to visually see what you're putting into your mouth and how much (or little) exercise you're actually doing is an eye opener. It really helped me stay on track with my eating and exercise. I lost the weight in three months.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OMG!!! Is this me talking...lol

That is so me all the way...I can not seem to stick with it either.

With being a mom and a wife it gets so tiring...uh! I guess we need to have a very strict schedule to go by...idk GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm with you on all but the drinking. There have been so many conversations lately even on tv about exercising makes us hungry and we eat more. I believe that. It happens to me. I don't go overboard anymore on my workouts. I do mostly stretches and use resistance bands. You can do those while watching tv! (I'm lazy) Also, weight training is quick and easy as well. These don't get me as hungry as walking and swimming and other aerobic exercises. I hear we are to set large goals. I think that's dumb. I can't get to medium goals some days so large ones are out for me. I don't look at it as wanting to lose 50 more lbs. I want to lose ONE more pound then I'll work on the next one. Motivation? Mine is a high school reunion. I looked like a real oinker in 2005. No one said anything but I felt awful. I lost 50 and want to lose another 50. I want to fit in that Victoria's Secret little black dress. THAT is my motivation.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:54 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was enjoying my morning cup (2nd) of coffee with creamer (~= and my sweety showed me this.... Had to share it because I am now going to try to loose the weight WITHOUT PHO's .... Crazy stuff....Consuming partially hydrogenated oils is like inhaling cigarette smoke. They will kill you -- slowly, over time, but as surely as you breathe. And in the meantime, they will make you fat!
    http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html
    SweetAkMom

Answer by SweetAkMom at 3:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• its probably the lack of instant satifaction. you need to find something motivating to you and stick with it. good luck...i know you can do it!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 4:12 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You know I have all my motivation at the wrong time.. During the day I feel very sluggish & tired & can barely get my normal housework done.. But at night my mind starts ticking & i feel like I could get up & push myself to get a good work out, ect.. but HELLO its time to wind down & get some sleep! :( I spend alot of time laying in bed thinking of all the right things to do.. but dont have the umph to follow through in the morning..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i do this too... I'm gunna try to set my mind to it again!! I lost a good bit of weight before I had my ds 5 months ago... and now i need to do it again...GL momma
    Brookes_Mommy

Answer by Brookes_Mommy at 10:59 PM on Aug. 17, 2009

• I got myself a coach and someone to hold my feet to the fire. I went from size 18 to 12 in the last 4 1/2 months (on my way to a 6), and now coach other people. Interested?
    Hullofamom

Answer by Hullofamom at 7:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2009