Treadmill question....

Ok so I dont want to sound whiny but I started going to a gym three times a week and mainly stay on the treadmill. I want to eventually work up to running but right now im TOO embarrassed to try cause I get WAY out of breath and can only run for like, less then a min! I though maybe fast walking at a incline would MAYBE give me the same workout as running and I could build up from that but wasnt sure so thought I would ask. So, is it a high cardio workout fast walking at a incline? If it is what incline should I put it at?

ms_jackson

Asked by ms_jackson at 6:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I know this is not what you asked. I started going to the guy after my 1st son cuz I was huge, I started with 10 minutes on the bike and trust me I was huffin and puffin like crazy, but I took it slow at first and then would work out on the eliptical, my first day I did 2 minutes and I was done, eventuall I worked up to an hour on the elipticol and after that I did some weights. On the eliptical you can do diferent setting, cardio and all that. My point is I have lost over 100 pounds doing that, once I started to loose weight that gave me motivation to change my diet. People that I haven't seen for a while did not recognize me, my aunt didn't recognize me. Good luck

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You can get a great workout walking fast on an incline. I am a bit of a runner, but I like to switch my workouts up a little with some climbing on the treadmill. I actually burn more calories when I do that. But anyway, if you want to start running try doing intervals. Jog (at a pace you can maintain) for one minute. Walk for one (or two) for 30-45 minutes. Eventually you will build up your stamina. One you get used to that, up your jog time. Jog two minuntes, walk one. Don't be afraid to look silly, you're doing what you have to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Google the Couch potato to 5K run plan. It will help you work up your tolerance. And who cares if you get out of breath, that's what you're there to do!!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009