Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone known specifically what kind of services or programs the Government provides to children diagnosed with Autism and Non-Verbal?


Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Parent to Parent is a national organization and that can help with finding parental support. Federally there is

    0-3 (developmental and/or severe physical disabilities -- Easter Seals, Mailman Center, ARC etc.) ,

    3-5 (PL142-92 - was the number back in 98-00 )(Preschool intervention and can vary from area to area), and

    5-22 (IDEA)

     These law and provisions are  for disabilities in general, there is nothing specific for Autism or nonverbal

    . How and what services are specifically available varies not only from state to state but from area to area within that state.


    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:09 AM on Aug. 14, 2009

  • I know that benefits vary from state to state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Well my son has neurological problems. There is ssi , and class, also early childhood intervention. for eci it is based on income.

    Answer by Ashlee0323 at 7:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Do you mean federal or state government? If federal, none specifically. If state, it varies by state.

    SSI is not an autism specific program, but a child with autism will qualify if the child's family meets income guidelines.

    EI (Early Intervention) is a state-run, federally-mandated program available in every state. Any parent can request an evaluation for their child ages birth-3 and then, based on the eval results, services can be provided for free or at low cost to the child's family.

    IDEA is the federal special education law. Once a child w/a qualifying disability reaches age 3, the local public school district is obligated to provide a "Free Appropriate Public Education" or FAPE. Services, supports & accomodations will be based on the child's individual educational needs through the IEP process (Individual Education Plan). How this works varies by state, but still must follow the federal IDEA guidelines.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Some states have other programs, such as an Autism Wavier or Developmental Disability Wavier, while others provide children with a qualifying disability with Medical Assistance regardless of family income. There may also be other state waviers available based on the child's level of functioning, economic need, developmental need, or physical disability if any. Some state provide yearly grants that must be applied for and other states provide nothing at all.

    You will need to contact advocates in your area to find out what services are offerred by your state.

    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Programs or services:



    Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • cont

    Special Ed
    In-home care

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Good question-- my son has Autism and one of the places I was refered to for information was the Autism Society in my state. I have also called various therapy and behavioral clinics asking if they knew of places that specialized in Autism, or had Autism programs.
    I am still waiting on information about 1 program, although I think that is taylored for younger kids and my son would not qualify. Thru my searches I did find 1 agency that now offers a parents support group - to talk and share resources.
    I hope you find what you are looking for good luck!!

    Answer by MizLee at 10:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • Check with your local school system. The Chicago Public schools have excellent services.

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

  • My son has autism and I could tell you all about the programs in NC, but that wouldn't help you if you aren't in this state. I would recommend you call the local Autism Society in your area and ask them for a list, they should be able to help you. If you don't know where to start call the Autism Society of American and ask them.

    Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Aug. 13, 2009