How can I get my 22 month old girl off the bottle?

My 22 month old girl is still using the bottle. We were doing good after she turned one with using only sippy cups, but these past few months she doesn't want to take the cup. ONly bottle. I have gotten rid of all the bottles at my house, but her grandmother keeps her and she still has bottles there. Should I get rid of the bottles at grandma's house? that way she has no choice but to drink out of the sippy cup? Also, she has recently starting waking up in the middle of the night for milk. Is this normal? How do I stop the night feedings?

inda79

Asked by inda79 at 7:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well keep one bottle up so she can't see it. throw the rest of them away while she is watching. Then just give her sippy cups.
    Ashlee0323

Answer by Ashlee0323 at 7:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Remove all bottles, I had to do the same thing with my first son, he loved his bottle and that's all he wanted, I had to make myself just to take it oway and let him fuss about it, he realized he wasn't getting his bottle any more and started drinking out of his sippy. And as for milk my four year old want's milk at night to sometimes, I tell him no and offer him water, he complaines about it, then he either takes the water or goes back to bed.
    I wouldn't give her milk cuz that's really bad for her teeth. Good luck momma
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You need to talk to her grandma and explain she isn' t going to have anymore bottles. Get rid of the ones at grandma's house too. Some of us grandma's did things different back in our day, we may not understand why moms now do things different. Some grandma's may even go against what the mom says because sometimes we still think we know best! LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 8:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Well when i switched my now 11 month old off his bottle i was only giving him his bottle right before bed, basically as a comfort,, but i would first offer the sippy cup, Now for about a month he's been on only sippy cup, and i've gotten rid of all the bottles in my house and at his greatgrandma's who watches him once in a while. I'd just say take away all the bottles and just use sippy cups. I got the use and toss ones which are washable, but cheaper then some of the other choices, and its great since they come 4 or 6 to a pack for like 4$ and they work good.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 8:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When you come off the bottle the sleeping through the night thing improves. You can give a small amount of milk in a sippy cup at bed time! There are some sippy cups at Walmart that have a more nipple like top, they are made by Nuby. Maybe this would help.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• get rid of all the bottles she is long over due to be off them. Yes it is hard because that is just one more sign they are growing up. I would take her to the store and let her pick out a dish set of her own that has a matching big girl cup. if she fights for a bottle for the next week just have water in it. after a week all bottles should be gone. TellG'ma that all bottles should be removed from her house as well.....G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I had a problem with my daughter doing this as well but I took away the bottle completely when she was a year. I used the Nuby sippy and it made it SO much easier cus it has a nipple like top. My daughter is now 2 years and 3 months and still uses the nubys at night when she is relaxing before bed. I also LOVE them because they barely leak! good luck
    MyTrinity

Answer by MyTrinity at 1:23 AM on Aug. 14, 2009