Diaper rash :(

When your child has a really bad rash, do you give them naked time to help dry it out? She's only 8 months so I know inevitably I'll be having to clean up messes, but her rash is terrible! I don't even know how she got it, only thing I can think of is she had the banana/strawberry gerber food for breakfast, but my mom gave her a little bit of a strawberry smoothie about 3 weeks ago and she didn't get a rash from that. I've been giving her apple juice, but I use 100% juice and only put a splash and the rest is water. And does it seem like they poop more when they have rashes, or is it just me!?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah it does seem like they poop more when they have rashes .if the rash is really bad you should call the doc and they can give you nysatin creame which will take it right away .i would give her a warm bath and yes leave her naked for about a half hour and yeah youw ill have to clean up a mess best to do it in a room with no carpet
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It does seem like they poop more when they have a diaper rash. Does the rash look like little dots? Because it might be a yeast rash. If it is, I use lotrimin (spelling?) which our pedi has told us to use. But if it isn't going away, I would take her to the doctor.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 8:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Fruit can make them poop more often. It's the fiber they need and that's okay. Naked time after baths and changing is okay, but limit it to less than 10 minutes until they gain more control over their potty needs.
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 8:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It's extremely red and blotchy, not little spots more like big ones. And she's chubby, so she has rolls down there too and is red in her creases. I'm going to try and go to the store when both kids are asleep (aside from her having this rash and teething, my 2 year old has a virus!) so I can buy that oatmeal stuff you put in the water. It seems to work but I just wish I had some now! Thanks for the advice moms :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• A lot of acidic foods will cause diaper rash...especially strawberry. Does she have fairly regular bowel movements? If so, put a little vaseline on her bum at the diaper change before you expect her next bowel movement...it will protect the skin from the acid when she poos and help prevent diaper rash. I also use it at bedtime so that the pee doesn't sit on her skin all night long. Be careful though - it doesn't allow the skin to breath so you don't want to use it all the time.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• There is a product called Boudreaux's Butt Paste. (yes really) I've found it at Wal-Mart and Wal Greens. My kids would get bleeding rashes from sitting in a poopy diaper for more than 5 minutes. (you know how it is.. he's playing and suddenly you catch a whiff and think "OMG something died in there!") Boudreaux's worked the best for us.
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 2:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009