In home child care---do you pay the sitter if your child isn't there?

I use an in-home day care provider---my child goes to their house. Do you think it's fair to pay if the child isn't there? For a day? For a complete week? Just wondering how others handle this. In most day care facilities around my area you pay whether the child is there or not; with in-home care it seems to be split 50/50---some charge, some don't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• when I had my in home daycare I expected my clients to pay if they were not there. That $$ is my income and I depended on it. I was open for business and their child was taking up a slot. BUT if I took a day off or went on vacation I did not expect them to pay. Because I had closed the daycare and they either had to take a vacation/day off from work or make other arrangments.
    If you would pay a day care facility for when your child is not there I do not see the differance, I would pay the at home daycare as well.
    When I used in home day cares when I went back to work I paid them even if I kept my son home with me that day
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:13 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes because like the PP said, your child is taking up a spot, and there are laws putting a cap on how many kids they can watch.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 8:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I don't have a daycare, but there are a few kids around town that I watch occasionally. I wouldn't pay someone if they were not watching my child. Some of the kids I sit with, I sit with for free just so their parents can go to work and pay the bills. I would never ask someone to pay me for time I hadn't spent working. Think about it, does your boss pay you if you are at home? If he/she does, you are a very lucky lady.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes my boss pays me if I take a day off or go on vacation it is called sick pay or vacation pay. And if a child is taking up an alotted spot then the family needs to pay for that slot.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• no i dont .but when i watched this lil girl her mom said she would pay me only if it was her that didnt bring the girl butif i wasnt able to watch her then she wouldnt pay me .but in general i dont think you should pay them if the child is not there
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My boss pays me as well, I do have sick and vacation time, however the sitter I use does not charge me when I don't bring my child becuase she doesn't run a licensed day-care....she watches my son and one other girl. She does it for her spending money---she and her husband are fortunate enough to live off of her husband's income. I guess since she isn't dependant upon the income she doesn't charge. I do give her extra a few times a year just as a thank you so I think it all balances out in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When I watched a friends 2 children for her in 2003-2005... her Mom was sick so her 4 yr. old dd liked to go sit with Grandma and that left me her 2 yr old ds. What she did was started paying me 1/2 of the hourly rate if her DD was not here, but was suppose to be. She was a teacher so I had all school holiday's off....
    That also included preschool.... because preschool was to contact me first... she also paid me 1/2 of the hourly rate while she was at preschool.....
    Mom2jngnc

Answer by Mom2jngnc at 8:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We are starting an in home childcare center, and I watch kids now, and I get paid whether they are here or not. You are paying for your child's slot. In the contract,(ours anyway), it specifically states what holidays we'll have off, whether they are paid or not, and the policy for paying when your child misses. Make sure you read that carefully, and if you disagree with it, look somewhere else.
    ladybug4

Answer by ladybug4 at 9:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I always paid when my kids were not there by my choice. If the provider was on vacation or was sick, then I did not pay. She depended on my payment for her income and I see her point.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Your child is occupying a slot that could be filled by another child, therefore the daycare provider could have made money that day. Yes. You should be paying whether your child is there or not. Home daycares are a business like any other.

goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 9:18 AM on Aug. 13, 2009