Do you feel that female obstetricians offer better care than male obstetricians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used a female with my daughter and Im using the same dr this time too. I personally prefer a woman bc they have experience as far as knowing how something feels and if they've had kids then they know more of what your talking about. A man doesnt know how it feels to have something shoved up in you or if you say you've been having these certain pains he'll just say oh it's just this or that, but a woman may have experienced those certain things and isn't just telling you something...I mean I know male dr's have went to school too for the same thing but I just feel like woman have more experience bc they've experienced either birth, all the stuff from a pap smear/pelvic exam, or both so they can be more gentle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My OB is a man.....He is a great guy.....He has dlivered my son and is going to deliver the one in my belly tomorrow....I would much rather have man be my OB than a woman, for the simple fact that a woman looking at me down there just creeps me out....He is always there if something is wrong.....anytme i went to the maternity ward because i thought something wasworg...Hed come up and reasure that everything was ok....I love my OB...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Not necessarily. I think that some women are just more comfortable with a female doctor.

Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 8:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My OB was a man, and I thought he was great. The doctor on call at delivery was a female. I didn't have enough time to get to know her because she was only involved at the end (and my reg OB showed up just before my c-section), but she didn't seem to have very good bedside manner. You would think a female doc would understand that we might appreciate a little talk before her hands start going up there.

I did have a female OB for a brief amount of time on a different health plan. She was friendlier, even warmed the metal tools before insertion. That was cool.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No. I've gone to 3 female OB/GYN's. One of them was good. Of the other 2, one was very insulting "how are we doing today" "we need to put our feet into the stirrups now" "oh, it seems we've gotten a little stuck here" (that last being as she got the tool she was using in at an awkward angle and hurt me!)

The other one saw me less than 10 days after I had given birth (with complications resulting in them having to basically go in after the placenta because I wasn't able to deliver it properly and lost a lot of blood). I had gone in to the ER (so, in honesty, she might not have been an OB/GYN, but she did do a pelvic on me) because I was bleeding heavily and was afraid I was hemorrhaging. She was extremely rough, sighed and SHOVED her hand into me, and when I flinched, her reply was "oh, get over it - it can't be THAT bad!"

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• cont

Both my kids were delivered by male OB/GYNS, and most of the Drs I've been seen for those sorts of exams have been male. With one exception (he was also very insulting and tried to tell me it was impossible to have a V-bac, among other things), they have all been polite, professional, and willing to listen to what I had to say about what was going on with my body. They also all had female "standby's" in the room whenever they examined me. lol, and because we move a lot all over the place, I've had to change Drs a lot.

Now, this is not to say that ALL women Dr's are bad, or that ALL male Dr's are good. I wouldn't NOT go to someone because they were a woman, nor would I GO to someone because they were a man. But, in my experience, just because they are a woman does NOT make them a better Dr.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I think it is not a gender thing but more of a personality issue. You have to find someone who you are comfortable with. I had only seen women until I was pregnant with my some and there was a male OB at the office and they rotated you through them all, so when I had my son he was the only one available and I am ver comfortable with him now! Now I have to choose who will deliver this baby!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I really don't think it is a gender thing I think it is a bed side manners thing I have had both good and bad with male and female Doc's
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:25 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• from expirance i think women are to ruff .i had one man and a couple women ones and i dont like women ob's
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 8:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• one was very insulting "how are we doing today" "we need to put our feet into the stirrups now" "oh, it seems we've gotten a little stuck here" (that last being as she got the tool she was using in at an awkward angle and hurt me!)

I would have left this doctor. I had a female Dr. for my first one I didn't like her but she was referred by my husband's fried. With my second I decided to go with a Male Dr. the experience was completely different. I love my male Dr!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2009