How do I keep my white shirts from yellowing when hanging in my closet?

White shirts (button-down to T-shirt) will yellow when left alone hanging in my closet. The closet has no window and one flourescent light that is not on for very long. I don't wear the button-down-style shirts very often (I have small children), so they don't get much love.

genxfansub

Asked by genxfansub at 8:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Purpl...
    have you tried using a plastic bag like they use at the cleaners?
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 8:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have not... I always heard not to leave those bags on clothes for some reason. Another myth, perhaps?
    genxfansub

Answer by genxfansub at 8:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i would imagine the reason you can't leave dry cleaner bags on the shirts is that they trap the chemicals inside? i have one white shirt that i just put a plastic grocery bag over it since it was yellowing from when we used to smoke cigarettes in the house. it's a nice blouse that i only wear for special occasions, and it looks fine since i washed the yellow out and put the bag over it. i just popped a hole in the bottom of the bag for the hanger to fit. been sitting there for almost 2 years now, just fine.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Thanks!
    genxfansub

Answer by genxfansub at 10:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009