H3's and Caddies for Clunkers?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_clunkers_not_so_green

Wasn't the whole point of this program supposed to be better-for-the-environment vehicles, or is there something else?

"The dealership has sold three 2009 Cadillac SRXs — the six-cylinder engine model — through the clunkers program, he said, and is finishing paperwork on two more. Ledesma hopes to sell the other 14 at the dealership, along with some of the Hummer H3Ts on the lot that are eligible for clunker rebates."
"It's not just Honda Civics and Toyota Priuses, two cars that get as much as 29 mpg and 50 mpg respectively, that people can buy with the $3 billion in government rebates. They can also buy versions of the 2009 Lexus RX 350 or 2009 Lincoln MKX, both pricey five-passenger utility vehicles that get about 19 mpg and are capable of towing a small boat."

I guess our Dem congress lacked the forethought to set a min MPG. I'm shocked.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• See how well government manages selling cars--and you want them in charge of your healthcare?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:16 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• another shining example of a BS govy program
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would drive an H3 in a heartbeat. Of course I obviously dont want the payment that goes with it. My best friend drives a hummer and it gets all of 15 mpg on a good day. Image is still more important than gas mileage...didnt you know that? *note sarcasm*
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• SO dumb. And from what I understand, they won't take your 76 Ford pickup that gets 8 miles a gallon for "klunker" trade-in, but they will take your 89 minivan that gets 18 miles a gallon.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We own an aumotive repair shop, and I had a customer mention to me that his 07 Kia Sorento would classify as a "clunker" WTH?

By the way, this program is going to kill the salvage business. There are parts out there that are perfectly fine that can be bought out of salvage cars, (there are sensors and switches that cost $45 used and hundreds of dollars new from the dealer) We install a lot of used engines. Some of them are simply wrecked cars that people didn't want to buy back with insurance money and have less than 50,000 miles. I see a lot of families struggle pretty hard when their cars break down. It's an unexpected expense, but it's gotta be fixed. It's cheaper to fix them with used parts.
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

The fact is a Kia Sorento only get 16 mpg city so it would qualify. It doesn't matter what the vehicle is it matters what the gas mileage is. Your friend could trade that in and get $3500 towards something else that gets only 2 mpg better. Obviously that isn't going to help the enviroment.
    My Ford Escape 4 cyl just misses it by 1 mpg according to the governments assessment.
    Another reason why the whole plan isn't going to begin to do what they say it will. Even the bump for dealerships is very temporary. They are already saying there has been a huge drop off in people trying to be approved and they just approved another 2 billion for the plan.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• This is the most illogical program. Let's throw out perfectly good cars and call it green. Green would be not ramping up production and littering junk yards with non junk.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009