Is anyone starting a kindergarten with departmentalizing (2 different teachers/classrooms)?

I'm freaking out that my son has to go full day (no choice) and will have 2 seperate classes and teachers....like in middle school?!?!?!?

Anyone else have this at such a young age? How did the kids do?

Please help, we start monday!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have never heard of it: Is it have different classrooms for morning and afternoon with different teachers in each room? I think a child will adjust to that. I would assume that the teachers work together. As long as both teachers are good it shoulnt be a problem. kids are used to adjusting to different settings, even with different rules.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Why does it seem as though everyone freaks over a full day of kindergarten? IT's not as big a deal as you seem to think. Most kids adjust very easily and quickly.

As for two teachers...I don't see a problem with that. I could see where a change in the middle of the year might be a bit confusing for the kids, but starting out that way?

You can always pull him out and homeschool or make him wait another year to start.

YOU're having a bigger problem with his schooling than he is going to have, it seems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would love it if my kids school went to an all day K before my youngest has to go. The 1/2 day is a huge pain in the ass, especially since so many of the students are bussed and busses only run in the morning and after school, so parents have to leave work or somehow make arrangements to pick up their child (for am) or drop them off (for pm). And they do a full day in Grade 1, so they'll be facing it sooner or later.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It will be all they know so it will be a fairly easy transition. Believe me, things like this are worse for the parents than they are the kids and kids usually only freak out when they see their parents freaking out.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my son was in F/D kindergarten last year. He and his classmates all did just fine.....why freak out?? As for switching classrooms I do not see the big deal. my son had a different teacher for music, library, art, computer and gym. You are making a bigger issue out of it than what it has to be. The more freaking out you do the more your child will feel your stress and start to freak as well. Calm down. I am sure it will all be okay. There are schools and classrooms that have the open classroom policy during free time where kids can go visit the other classroom in their grade. It works. relax

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My SD went to all day kindergarden last year & DD is going this year. SD was great. She loved being in school as much as her brothers were. She had art & music & gym & lunch all in different rooms. The teacher & the teacher's assistant are great about setting up a schedule & getting the kids where they need to be without any fuss. It becomes a very natural thing for kids. Like, Monday we start in the classroom & then after lunch, we go to the gym or whatever. Sure, it paints a rosy picture to imagine the teacher with 10 students max & doing everything for & with them all day but in today's schools, it just isn't practical. Regardless of the setup of the classroom or teachers, your child will get an excellent education if you are involved & also, if you are excited for him but not freaked out. Your DS will pick up on your emotions easier than you think so for his sake, take a deep breath & relax. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• kids are resiliant and mostly flexible.

I'm sure the teachers have it worked out logistically.

It will be fine.

Breathe.... and enjoy this milestone
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 7:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Both of my older kids had full day kinder and multiple teachers from the start and my youngest will go next year. It is all they know. They love it. It gives the teachers a chance to teach to their strengths and the student is not "stuck" if his/her teacher isn't a perfect fit there is another with which to bond.

My oldest "continued" from 5th grade and there were 4 teachers there to speak about each kid. It was beautiful because they became a close knit community where they may not have had perfect relationships but they respected one another.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My girls go to a biliterate school.Kinder is madated full day and all grades have two teachers per class. They go to their home language teacher for half the day and their learning language teacher the rest of the day. You think it will be hard for your kid with two teachers that speak English?! Try having half of her class not speaking English and A teacher who is not allowed to speak to her in English at all. Even when she doesn't understand the teacher can't speak English. But they have learned to deal with it and now my daughter that is going to 2nd grade is starting to be fluent in the second language. The 13 year old we are adopting is now completely fluent in both languages, straight A's, and involved in many of the campus clubs. My daughter going to kinder can't wait and welcomes the two teachers. Two more people for her to love. One draw back: double the amount of Valentines and Christmas cards to give out!
    Garciamommyof3

Answer by Garciamommyof3 at 3:03 AM on Aug. 17, 2009