Why do you assume spaking = abuse?

I just don't get it. It is possible to spank w/o leaving welts w/o using a belt or paddle and w/o physically hurting the child. Spanking isn't evil and it doesn't make the child aggressive if done properly. Obviously, don't spank in anger or just react. no punishment should be like that. But a pop on the bottom (specially a diaper area!) isn't going to cause all this torment that some people tend to believe. Again, I just don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• ya i dont get it either. but some people choose not to punish their kids right and thats y we end up with hoodlums.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Troll.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes, I'm an hideous and evil troll that is just begging for trouble. I also hide under your bed at night waiting for the best time to strike! Thanks for pointing that out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i dont spank never have and raised 4 kids and they are not trouble makers at all honor roll and college bound , i never saw the need for violence and to me that is what it is, i wouldn't like to get smacked so why would they? i found other methods to handle them which obviously worked
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• im sorry but there is many other ways to raise a child vs spanking i never got spanked and was a good child/ and a hard working adult, my parents just had their own ways to teach and smacking me was not part of that plan they had for me
    anarose26

Answer by anarose26 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i agree with the poster. it is not evil. i think its a form of discipline. and if my child is going to get hurt by acting crazy or possibly break someone else stuff- he is getting a spanking (not a beating). if i catch him eating a crayon, then NO. i pick my battles when it comes to spankings. we are kinda at the point now, where i just threaten to do and he spanks himself. lol.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• And why do people who spank assume that people who don't aren't disciplining their kids? That's just as much of a nasty stereotype going in the opposite direction!

I don't spank. I don't spank because I grew up in a house where my mom had anger management issues and couldn't tell a spanking from a beating. I have never experience it used properly and thus I don't trust myself to use it properly. I just know what it was like to be hit hard because my mom was mad.

Do I think all parents use spanking this way? Of course no! Do I think a swat on the bum is equivalent to abuse? No, I don't. Not all moms who don't spank feel this way. It isn't fair to generalize about this just as much as it isn't fair for those who spank to say that other kids are not disciplined and grow into thugs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Some kids dont need spanking, I understand that. But some absolutely do. there's only so many times you can tell a kid no, and them not listen. My brother was prime example....he kept slamming a glass door over and over and over. Mom says no over and over and over. Finally she spanks him (on butt with a diaper) and he quits. I dont think that a belt or other thing should be used. just your hand....why? because you'll not hit too hard, with something else you dont know how hard you're hitting the child and thats a problem.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• if you raise your child from day 1 any child wont need a spanking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I dont see spanking as abuse and I don't think children who weren't spanked are destined to become trouble makers. There are many forms of discipline.....its just whichever one works for the family.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009