My poor baby (not a question)

is sooo sick. I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back. About a month ago she got her first cold. She's been soo congested and I've been sucking her nose out but mostly don't get anything out. Last night she woke up about two hours after I put her down for the night and she was choking so bad. I've been up every 45 min since midnight last night sucking out her nose. My poor baby didn't even want to finish her bottle. : (
I don't like seeing her like this because I'm doing all I can do.
I wonder if the doctor can prescribe something or suggest something to give her to make this congestion go away.

NOLAmommaKRYS

Asked by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Elevate her head.
    Don't suction unless you can SEE something. Too much suctioning will cause her nasal passages to swell, making it difficult for her to breathe.

Steam her in the bathroom, it will loosen the mucous...as it runs, suction
    Run a humidifier...cool or steam which ever works better.
    Saline nose drops at diaper changes, suction only if you can see something.
    Tylenol (dosage by weight) for discomfort.

Vicks made my kids MORE congested...too strong of fumes congests some kids. I personally wouldn't use it for a baby.

I see you're taking her in...good. Hope it's just a cold.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• take her to the dr. but wut i did when my dd was a newborn and she had a cold, i sucked her nose put vicks vapo rub on her chest and took her in the bathroom. id put the shower on com,pletely hot and sit on the toilet with her. it helpd clear the congestion with the steam.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The doctor just called back and I'm about to get her dressed and bring her over there. I thought about the vicks vapor rub at midnight last night. her nose just started getting really congested. She got over her cold about three weeks ago and now her nose is all stopped up. and i've heard of the shower thing, but never really thought about it now. i was jus freaked out and couldn't think of anything to use for her.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Get a humidifier for her bedroom. You may want to be careful of the vicks it can be to much for some babys sensitive skin.
    sami07

Answer by sami07 at 10:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• A Cool Mist Humidifier. One they have is Baby Vicks too. We had that too. Both of my DD's were born in the Cold Season. I know its heart breaking to see your Baby unwell! My heart goes out to both of you! See what they say to do. Meaning her Ped./DR. Also even if she's geting some Breast milk/Formula helps!! Hope she's Well Soon!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• VICKS IS NOT FOR KIDS OMFG!

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/cold-flu-vicks-vaporub-dangerous-for-little-kids.html

http://www.mymomsbest.com/daily/vicks-vaporub-danger-may-hurt-kids/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Doctor said it was just a cold (Thank God). He told me to get a vaporizer and to keep using the saline solution and sucking out her nose. He told me to go back if she starts running a fever and/or pulling at her ears. He didn't hear any weezing or anything which is good.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:22 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I don't know that I would use the Vick's on her b/c she does have sensitive skin (she's allergic to something in the bandaids they put on her legs after her shots. So I probably would be very concerned about using it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:23 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• use vicks rub or hold it under her nose also get a vaperiser.they say put formula or breast milk up her nose it will help break that stuff down so u can get it out
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009