If a child is spanked at home...do you think that the child will exhibit aggressive tendencies around other kids? AND Would the daycare staff notice that the child is being spanked at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not always are kids aggressive because they've been spanked. Sometimes its a last resort, and kids know they've pushed their limit, so they got in trouble. I was spanked as a kid and have NEVER been in a fight. NEVER hit another kid at school. I also have worked daycare and sometimes we know when a parent has spanked bc they say it (of course i live in arkansas, and its not very liberal. still allowed to get paddled at schools). The thing that a daycare provider will notice is signs of abuse. IE bruises, marks, scratches, that type of thing. We are supposed to report anything we believe is abuse. Even if its verbal. But I promise most dont just go around accusing ppl of something unless they are 100% sure of their feelings, the last the we want to do is wrongfully accuse a parent of something.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 9:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Why do you ask? Are you beating your kids and afraid of the daycare?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• well their punishment is up to u. not up the the daycare. unless of course ur leaving vruises then maybe they should find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No, spanking as a punishment will not lead to aggressive tendencies and therefore the day care will not notice. Abuse may lead to aggression or withdrawl or any other set of behaviors that the day care should pick up on if the abuse has started while in their care. Spanking is not abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• funny thing....a lot of kids that i know of are not spanked, and they are naughty, aggressive, and mean.

I'm not for spanking, i don't spank my kids.

But some parents equate spanking & discipline with abuse (it's not), therefore don't discipline and have the worst kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I agree with Amanda. I was spanked and was never violent or aggressive towards anyone.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No and no to both questions; my kids get spanked and they are sweet as can be.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:20 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No and no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If someone is worried about other people or a daycare staff finding out that their children are being spanked at hom....then that would raise serious questions to me. I spank my children when needed, and they are not aggressive towards anyone else...they know that when they are spanked it is for a reason.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No and no. A simple spanking is a form of discipline. Not all agree with it, but I do not consider it abuse. If the daycare is looking for abuse, my thought is that they would be looking for unusual marks and overt behaviors from the child of things such as acting out of sexual abuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009