What is with the death threats on Senators that support health reform?

I understand that we don't all agree, but death threats, mock lynchings and tomb stones made with Senator's names is insane to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Insane is a good word for some of the opponents (not all). It's unfortunate that the crazies are distracting people from the real issues that could be resolved through discussion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yeah, so is a Sarah Palin dummy hanging by its neck from a tree.. but hey, theyre are crazies from both sides of the fence.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Touche BEXi. But they don't like to claim the crazies on their side of the fence.

I doubt that threats like this are new to people in public office. With some of the stuff that has happened in the last couple of decades I somehow think that death threats on elected officials is a new phenomenon. I don't agree with it, but it does give a good indication of how passionately people feel about what is going on right now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:05 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yep, but this world is full of crazies. The reason they come out really doesn't matter.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Sorry, that should have read: I somehow think that death threats on elected officials is NOT a new phenomenon.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It happens there were signs calling for Bush's execution and people had Sarah Palin hanging from a noose and she wasn't even elected as Vice President only a candidate. There are ugly and nasty people on both sides. The main difference is the main stream liberal media is much more likely to show you the ugly side of conservatives than liberals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OP here: I will admit there are crazies on both sides of the fence...but they really seem to be piling up in certain places. Doctors being killed and death threats are NOT JUSTIFIABLE... no matter which side does this. It should not be a political statement that we are behind and all normal people on BOTH SIDES should come together and in unison say it is NOT OKAY. I find it odd that you are trying to defend by saying "it's not new", "your side does it too", "people feel passionately about it".... it is wrong. period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• They will never admit that their elested officials are ramping up this hate filled environment. When someone gets hurt, they will blame the president for being a divisive figure and not the ignorant fools spreading blatantly insane lies and propaganda

Even Joe Scarboro sees this for what it is, he is a REAL CONSERVATIVE (even against the healthcare bill, but for fiscal reasons, not made up death panels) And he sees how hurtful this is for the republican party and America in general.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I clearly stated:

I don't agree with it

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

It does matter when elected officials are lying to inflame the public

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on Aug. 13, 2009