Overnight babysitting for teenagers

My husband has to go away for a conference for his company and has asked me to accompany him. We have 2 sons, one is 15 ½ and the other is almost 13. My friend’s 22 year old daughter is coming to stay with them. She really has to make sure they go to school and take them and pick them up from practice and make them dinner in the evening. Otherwise – they are very independent and will take care of everything else themselves. What should I pay her? Thanks for your advice!

twilly722

Asked by twilly722 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Since she is an adult she should probably get paid more than a teen would. I give my 16 year old 50 dollars for just one overnight. Have fun! I just went with my dh overnight for his work. I was spoiled we had such a nice time and he even sent me to the spa the next day while he was busy with work!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i normaly charge 25 a day but the ones i babysit for are younger ( ages 2,9,10) and the older ones are good at doing for themselfs but they still need pick ups and im the one who buys the juice snacks or dinner. ( i will add the 2 older ones are sisters so i do only charge 25 for both ) maybe ask the sitter what she feels would be fair and just wrok from that or ask her mom what she thinks. and have fun...good luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would say $50 sounds good. It is not like she is watching little kids,she is more there for supervision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• How long are you going to be gone? Even though your children are older, you have to consider that you need her to drive them to and from places..meaning gas money. A good rate for babysitting normally is about $8-10 an hour. Figure out about how many hours of actual sitting she'll have to do, and work it out.
    quorleeba

Answer by quorleeba at 7:16 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Think of covering gas, food for her to prep, plus the extra (because she can't just do it for free) . But then again also consider it isn't like she is caring for infants or toddlers. I'd say ask her what she would be comfortable with just to get an idea?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:28 AM on Aug. 14, 2009