What did your parents do?

What was one thing that your parents or one of them did for you growing up that really made an impact on you? I am not talking about intangibles, like taught me right from wrong...etc. For me it was that at least one of my parents was at every sports game, theater performance, etc. Heck my mom came to see the play I helped to costume when I was in college, even though I wasn't in it. lol There was only one performance they couldn't come to due to my dad's dad dying. At that moment I realized that the effort they had made my whole life to be there meant the world to me. Anyone else have some shout outs for their parents?

chrissifaye

Asked by chrissifaye at 10:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i would have to say the same thing my mo was at everything i did .and not only that she worked her ass off to give me everything had and when i had my kids she did the same thing thing for them
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My dad was there for me the whole way. I'll never forget what he does for me growing up.. and my mom lmfao! i'll never forget the time we out tired her and went across the street only to freak her out.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 10:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my mom always told me to look at life as if noone owes you anything and that i would be happier as a person,she also told me to show kindness anytime anyone helped me and to be grateful,my dad said its good to always be clean because it speaks who you are as a person and how organized you are,my dad also was an all kid person and always did fun kid stuff with us,my mom was an all homemade betty crocker kinda mom sweet as sugar but dont you mess with her kids or world war 50 was coming your way.they both told me how morals are beyond important and if i grew up to be a good girl i wouldnt have many problems in life,they were very right.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 10:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When I was in my late 20's my Mom became ill, she was diagnosed with cancer. The thing I learned from my Dad was unconditional love. He took care of her, from feeding her to trimming her fingernails. He was her best friend, her nurse, her everything. I knew then that I wanted to find someone like my Father, and the love between them.
    I found that someone and and I feel very blessed..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:31 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• mo always had the teens from church over for Sunday afternoon between services we lived three blocks from the church and it was a safe place for us to hang. Daddy bought a pool table and put a stove in the basement so we could cook and not mess up mama's upstairs kitchen. My parents were always there for us whenever any one of the teens had a problem they could go to mom. Years later one of the boys and his wife needed a place to stay while he was in town for a leg operation. Mama insisted they stay with her- rent free for the three months he need to recover. Mama liked it cuz she came home to a clean house and a cooked supper after work.

I let my daughters friend hang at our house. i knew they weren't out getting into trouble or doing drugs while they were at my house. i am still friends with many of the kids ten years after my youngest graduated

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my parents were like that. They always came to everything for us. Usually both of them. The only activities my brothers and I did were band and choir, and my dad NEVER understood our band competitions. he said he always clapped when other parents did just cause he figured it was something good. But even if they never got it, they were there.
    They also always taught that we should never back out of something that we commited to do. That's something that's just part of me now. If you don't want to do it, don't commit to it. If you commit, then follow through. They lived it and now I try to live it too. It drives me crazy that my husband doesn't live that way lol.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My mom instilled in me wonderful morals. If you raise your kid with a strong moral foundation then more than likely your kid will turn out a positive rolemodel and good citizen.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We showed horses for 12 years. We are in NC and they took my brother and me to every horse show between Alabama and Virginia and all points in-between. We didn't go no vacation. We went to horse shows from Jan. to Nov. They paid for trainers and equipment so we could have at least a competetive chance. We showed with some heavy hitters on the AQHA circuit who could pay $30,000 for a horse (in the 1970's) and that was a lot of money. We couldn't invest that much, so we invested ourselves and fine tuned our skill. It was a large charge!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I was lucky enough to have a stay at home mom. She did everything for us. Came to everything, cooked and baked. Sewed home made halloween costumes, had hot chocolate waiting for us after school during snowy weather. She would get down on the floor or ground and play with us. She decorated everything so cozy in the fall and winter. She was and is an awesome mom! If I am half the mother mine was...my kids are blessed!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Hmmm, really can't think of much positive stuff other then my mom always took the time to have cookies baked when we got home from school around Christmas time and she always had the tree up and the lights on it the day after my birthday so we could decorate it when we got home (a tradition started because my dad bought our first tree the day after I was born).
    My dad made a huge impact on me by NEVER coming to any of my school events. I was in the orchestra in high school and we did 3-4 performances a year and he went to just 1...my last one and my mom had to drag him along and he complained the whole time. He also constantly criticized me when I was practicing at home and telling me I played like crap and I should go practice where he couldn't hear me. He said he was just joking but that sticks with you.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009