How to get babys too gain weight

my son is nine months old and only weighs 19 pounds we cant get him to gain weight any one know what we could do he eats like 3 big jars of baby food a day

shaynaj

Asked by shaynaj at 10:21 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, baby food isn't going to put weight on him. There's hardly any calories in it!

Stick to what the pediatrician has told you to help him gain weight, but I'd personally be seeking another doctor if yours is saying that at 9 months he has to weigh more than 19lbs. For crying out loud, the average 1 year old weighs 20!!

Unless there's been a sudden and rapid weight loss that your doctor is concerned about, I'd not be trying to force weight on your baby. And I'd get a second opinion if there was no sudden weight loss....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Why does he need to gain weight? Sounds fine to me? Did your doctor say he was underweight?
    Did he just recently start crawling, walking, or anything else like that? Usually around that age when they become more mobile they will slim down. I wouldn't worry about trying to fatten him up unless your doctor sees a problem with his nutrition. Fat babies are not necessarily healthy babies.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:29 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• yeah doc says he is way under weight . he has been crawling since he was 6 months old.
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 10:30 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The doctor sounds misinformed. If he is hitting his milestones and is happy and active, he is fine.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:32 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• thank u all for ur answers
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 10:33 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• According to this chart he just below the 50th percentile for his age. I would not worry at all. You have to remember, even though the average weight for 9 months is 21 pounds, that is an average, and there are lots of healthy kids above and below that. Don't try to fatten him up. Give him all the breastmilk/formula he seems to need, and don't worry too much about the solid foods (if you make it yourself, it is much healthier too)

sapient

Answer by sapient at 10:37 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Whoa ladies if the dr who actually sees the kid says he is underweight then he might be underweight. Or he might not be meeting his growing curve. You should talk with the dr more to find out what they suggest .
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Wait? ONLY 19 lbs? My daughter weight 19.5 lbs at her 1 year check up. She was small but healthy. I think your child sounds healthy. Did something happen to make him lose weight? Or did he suddenly stop growing? Try to get a good rationale out of the doc about why he thinks he is underweight, then see aobut ways to improve it. If he's reasons don't sound right with you, there is no harm check with another pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Is it safe to assume that his height and weight do not match? Is he tall?

My DD is 10 weeks and weighs 14 lbs 6 oz. Breast milk at it's best! LOL but she is tall 26 inches!

Did your doctor recommend ways for your baby to gain weight?

Baby massage helps improve digestion, reduce solids formula/breast milk is more fattening, skin to skin contact has been shown to assist weight gain in babies, do a bit more research :-)

Good luck! Feel free to message me!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My doc said my 9 m old 18 lb-er is under wieght & if he doesnt impove, he wants me to put liquid margirine in all his food. I say its crazy......Give the tot what you are eating...fries....burgers....chicken nuggets...no really! But also give planty of fruits and veggies.Variety matters.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 12:36 AM on Aug. 14, 2009