What would you do?

I work as a security guard the money is really not that great. My hubby is the bread winner. My cousin is moving here from Tallahassee with her 2 kids (18mths and 13yrs). Anyway she has asked me to quit my job and become her 18 month olds' full time daycare. We haven't settled on how much but she said she would look around and see what daycares' charge and we would go from there. My question is would you do it?

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• dont say yes until you and hubby totally agree and make sure she pays you when you say not when she wants to.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 10:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You have to ask yourself if you really want to give up working outside of the home to be at home with an 18month old all day. What happens if you want to go out of town or something? Working where you do, you could call in or take personal or vacation time. She wouldn't have anyone to watch her child if you did that. I was recently asked to watch someone else's children so their mom could save on daycare costs, but I started think about vacations and appointments and such. For me, it was not what I wanted. So make sure you really think about all of the pros and cons before you commit. Hope this helps.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 10:41 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would rather babysit a relative in my home that work outside my home any day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• as long as we both had a good understanding of how things will be. It will be a business but Be honored she thought of you high enough to keep her little one. Thats a tough call. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes I would do it but only if she is going to pay u the same or more than what u are making at your job now.I would love an opportunity like that and stay home with my son but im the primary bread winner so i have to work outstide the home. I say go for it. Good luck! hope it works out for u!
    GillyMarie

Answer by GillyMarie at 11:11 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• if i had to do it all over again i wouldnt do it i have been in a situation like this b4. i am a sahm i only took care of my dd then i had one of my closets friends asking me to watch her son for her while she work and she would pay me weekly well to make a long story short things didnt work out she payed whenever she wanted she picked him up hours after she was been supposed to arrive and sometimes she wouldnt pay me on the day we suggested i thought i could trust her cause weve been friends since high school but if i had to do it all over again i would never mixed business with friends and some family again its different for everyone but defintaley a learning experience. what whatever u decide good luck
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 11:34 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The older child will be in school during the day, that should help but then again he/she is a 13 yr old. Not an easy age and moving away from friends is going to be upsetting so if you can deal with that and the stress of starting over with the care of a 13 month old then go for it. You can probably call a day care to check on prices for the little one but they normally don't watch kids over 12 so you'd have to guess on what to charge there but add in food prices. Teens that age can eat like horses!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• NOPE family and money NEVER mix, and if it doesnt work out, your stuck looking for a job again. Not to sound harsh but i havent EVER had a positive experience with family as far as money was concerned. its just not worth the risk.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009