IS it too early to feed baby?

My little guy is 11.5 weeks and i just started feeding him rice ceral with his milk, he loves it, is it too early to introuduce him to bananas and such? i make my own baby food so id like to get an idea if its ok to feed him this now. He sits up with support.

BigSurprise2

Asked by BigSurprise2 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait for a while as there is a risk of becoming allergic to foods when a kiddo is fed them this early. It is usually advised to wait between 4-6 months for solids. Mine started between 7-9 months.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• umm yes they say 6 months for solids for a reason,.. and rice cereal in milk is a big no no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Are you feeding him cereal with a spoon or in his milk? If he can slurp it with a spoon and keep it in his mouth, then he may be ready even though the "general rule" is 4 months. One reason that is is because breast milk and formula have a higher calorie/nutrient count that helps your child stay healthy and grow properly. There is some research that suggests starting too early or too late can cause allergy problems. However, no one has really decided at what month that is. Just go slow (not more than one new food a week) and see how he does. If he spits up more, or his poops change drastically, he's probably not ready and you should back off a bit. Good luck, and great job making your own food!
    AngelaPatton

Answer by AngelaPatton at 10:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Way too early. Why are you doing the rice cereal? Babies tummies are very sensitive and really aren't ready to be digesting foods other than breast milk or formula (and some even have troubles with that) for the first few months. A good rule of thumb is, if after you spoon the food in his mouth, his tounge pushes it back out, he's not ready. That's a reflex babies have to keep them from having things they're not ready for.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'd say 4 months is the earliest for any form of solids. Ask your pediatrician though, because it may be different for him for one reason or another. We went to the ped for DS 4 month visit recently. she said 4 months is safe to start cereal and she felt it would be good to go ahead with it but also since cereal has the tendency to constipate and so does the formula (he's on soy) that we should go ahead and slowly introduce some fruits and veggies to help keep his system moving. I'd say 4 months is the earliest though for any form of solids. Ask your pediatrician, it may be different for him for one reason or another.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 11:07 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Hi the reason i started him is because he eyes everyones food when were eating and just cries, so i give him 1sp of formula and rice and give it to him with a spoon, he does realy good, i do put more formula then cereal but hes just sattisfied after, then he drinks the rest of his bottle. He just looks like he wants to eat.
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i think you should wait thats abit to early to introduce him to those foods as of right now
    mymommasgirl

Answer by mymommasgirl at 11:28 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine were taking almost 50oz of formula per day, sitting alone at 4 months, eyeing everyone's food and had stopped their tongue thrust.

We didn't start cereal/solids until 4 months.

There are reasons we are told to wait until between 4-6 months to start solids. Personally, I wouldn't start at 3 months...but that's ME. I can't speak for you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:38 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• my dd was ff she stared cereal at around 4 mts and babyfood at 5 mts
    my ds is bf. he is almost 6 mts and no cereal or baby food yet. ill start next month.

piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:26 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• How will I know when my baby's ready?

Your baby will give you clear signs when he's ready to move beyond liquid-only nourishment. Cues to look for include:

• Head control. Your baby needs to be able to keep his head in a steady, upright position.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Aug. 13, 2009