Is 3 to young for a pet?

My DD turns 3 in DEC. she really wants a kitten but that's really not possible right now. So i was thinking of getting her a Guinea Pig. I've had one so i know their some what low maintenance and i know she can help feed it and give it water. Of course i'd have to change the bedding but they don't require shots and stuff so money wise it would be cheaper. Plus not too small so i don't have to worry about losing it. So do you think 3 is a good age for a pet. (she has fish)

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't believe young children should have higher maitence pets, cats, dogs especially. But fish are a great start, then onto the smaller ones (like a guine pig-never had one myself, we had gerbals). It teaches responisibility, caring for others, nurturing skills, etc. Then, when she's older, and has proven she can do, move onto the kitten.

Sounds like you've put some considerate thought into it, good job! and good luck!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• sure. Im all about pets! plus it prob help learn about responsibilty. :)
    abshorn

Answer by abshorn at 10:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• According to my husband any age is good for a pet. both my girls have their own cat and dog. LOL! (our girls are 5 and 1)
    LilCaprica

Answer by LilCaprica at 10:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009