who does rides in your house?

I am afraid of heights to a level that probably requires therapy. So I threw my kids into heights and rides as soon as they were born, helicopter rides, ferris wheels, etc. I am the official video taper & photographer (from ground!!!) and my DH who is fine with speed and being high takes them on stuff. My son is only 4 1/2 but VERY tall and at the fair this yr. went on some pretty enormous stuff both alone and with daddy. They know about safety belts and checking the height requirements even if the operator is a lazy slob and doesn't care

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:57 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Entertainment

• I love coasters and scary rides. My husband is the official purse holder. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:32 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• OH- I am asking cuz we've been invited to a picnic lunch in a hot air balloon (GAG) which I obviously will not join them on. They're totally cool with it now but I worry when they're older they'll miss my being there for things like that. Heights = bad though. Stairs dizzy me and I cannot stand on a chair or stepstool even
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My husband will be the one to take our kids on roller coasters, I will do spinning rides.. but we only do very little rides at the fair, I don't trust them at all.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My husband is a rider. He'll ride anything. I like roller coasters but can't handle things that spin. My daughter is only 2 1/2 but he generally does the kids rides that need an adult, it's kind of their bonding thing so I don't feel bad. When I was little neither of my parents really rode things but my dad did take me on my first roller coaster and it was something I will always remember. So to answer your question, my daughter does not get to do a whole lot of things with just her and her dad, so I think having something for them to bond over is a good thing. I think your son will probably miss you but it'll be okay because it can be dad thing.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:14 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• DH and I both love rides. Roller coasters are by far our favorites he even got me on one of those straight drop rides at Six Flags in Atlanta. Acrophobia I think it's called. I hope that our son will love rides as much as we do!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 11:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm actually afraid of heights but I LOVE roller coasters so I'll be the one taking them up (if we could ever afford to go to Six Flags). My husband will get on some coasters but doesn't like the really big ones. I would never get in a hot air balloon, though and I doubt my husband would either.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:23 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I hate heights, but I love rides. It's hard for me because my boys like rides, but not ones that are particularly fast yet. So I have to take a friend along with me, so the boys can sit out and I have someone to ride with. (They sit out next to the ride operators.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:42 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I love rides & heights don't bother me so this was never an issue. DH will go on most things as well. My Mom never rode things when I was a kid. I have a vivid memory of her on a Tilt A Whirl at the beach & her being violently sick afterwards but that pretty much ended it right there. But my Dad would go on lots of things with me. I lost my Dad a few years ago & I treasure those memories from my childhood. I think it is super to have kids do something special with just one parent.

But, if it truly bothers you that you cannot participate then I would maybe find a doctor or counselor who can help you with your fear of heights. But if you don't, I think your kids will be more focused on what they experienced with their Dad rather than what they missed with you.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009