What do contractions feel like?

How do you know when it's a contraction? Can you feel it all over your prego belly? Or is it more of a pain in the lower ab? People keep telling me "You'll just know" but I'd love some more details!

amberkry

Asked by amberkry at 11:06 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when mine first started they felt like menstrual cramps, just regular cramps, then once my water broke they got waaaaaaaaay more intense. and hurt bad, you will just know. and make sure you time them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I HAVE ALWAYS COMPARED CONTRACTIONS TO A MUSCLE CHARLIE HORSE, A TIGHT KNOT IN ANY AREA OF THE TUMMY, INTENSE TIGHTING IN A BUNDLE, WHEN IT IS OVER IT RELEASES ITSELF, AND THE PAIN EASES.

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It was like a tightening of the muscle, kind-of like a cramp, but much more intense. It's almost like when you're doing stomach exercises and you contract those muscles, but during a labor contraction, you don't have any control over it. And when the contraction's over, it feels like you've released those muscles, but again, without your control. And it's accompanied by a lot of pain, of course.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• For my first I had only back pain. I didn't even feel them until my water broke, then it just felt like I had slept wrong or something and I had a muscle out of whack. (It hurt A LOT but it was in my back)
    For my second it felt like menstrual cramps, but they would come and go so that's how I knew it was contractions.
    I had no pain meds with either of mine and I was induced for both.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• like menstrual cramps x 100. it hurts like hell
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:10 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• They feel like the opposite of happy. :(
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Really intense menstrual cramps. Nothing I couldn't handle. I loved being in labor. :)
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:48 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but to me a contraction feels like when you hold in a poo for too long and your tummy fills up with gas and then you try to go all that pain hits you at once like a huge cramp...So i would relate contractions to terrible gas pain.  Hope this isn't TMI, I hope this helps you.

tdoubleday04

Answer by tdoubleday04 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 14, 2009