How to keep my 2.5 year old in his room at night

My soon recently switched to his big boy bed and all was fine he would get up for a like 10 minutes and play then lay down and go to sleep. The last few nights he has been staying up til like mid night and roaming the house while were asleep and getting into things. One night he microwaved a cake and fed the fish last night he got the scissors out and ate a gogurt and put lotion everywhere. We have tried putting a door knob cover inside his room but he has firgured it out (so much for child prood). We are not hearing him get up and I am not sure what to do to keep him in his room.

kclick213

Asked by kclick213 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nice, you have a smart one. Trust me, that intelligence WILL pay off some day, untill then, invest in a bottle of Vodka for yourselfs lol. My daughter did the exact same thing. We put gates up at her door, we had to put 2 of them up, one on top of the other. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• duct tape...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Oh man. I think I see my future
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Do you have room to set he crib back up?? Tell him if he isn't a big enough boy to stay in his room than he isn't a big enough boy for his new bed type thing?? We did the doorknob cover for my DD and she never figured it out...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Put the baby gate up at his door and at any other room you don't want him in. You also will need to discipline. Have him clean up the mess. You may need to turn the monitor up to extra sensitive or something because what your son is doing could be VERY dangerous, as I am sure you can imagine.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:37 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• We had one like this. Hubby put a lightwieght screendoor, not a stormdoor, on. He couldn't go wandering and we could still hear if he was up and about.
    auntj

Answer by auntj at 1:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Try sleeping in his room for a few nights so you can hear him get up and when he does, discipline him for it.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 1:58 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• so we used a baby gate last night and it worked... but who knows how long it will be before he figures out how to climb over that.
    kclick213

Answer by kclick213 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 14, 2009