How should I stop breast feeding?

My son is one year old and I want to stop breast feeding him. I don't know how. i always feed him then put him to sleep but if I stop how he going to be able to sleep? I know we are going to have a hard time. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you want to stop, then stop.

Keep his routine the same expect for nursing. Either remove that part entirely or substitute it with something else...an extra book, some quiet play, a sippy of milk, etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Child-led weaning is always best. The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc. Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:47 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I would cut out all the other breastfeeding sessions first, cutting out one every couple of days and replacing it with a sippy cup of milk. Once you reach that last one, do the same thing - keep your routine the same and just replace nursing with a sippy cup, may work better if dad does the putting to bed especially for the first couple of nights so you aren't around to breastfeed. Good luck.

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I also want to add that the AAP's recommendation of "at least one year or as long as both mom and baby are comfortable" is much more applicable to those of us living in the US than the WHO recommendation that has to include advice for 3rd world countries as well as developed nations.

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Aug. 13, 2009