Where can he find a new job?

So my husband needs to find a good paying job soon. The company he works for now will not be in business at the end of the year so we are trying to find him something soon. He does have a criminal background, so if anyone knows of any places we would really appreciate it.

K_Cutee

Asked by K_Cutee at 11:27 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know it won't pay great but grocery stores may hire him. He could buy a bread route to deliver bread....GL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• It's not easy for folks with a clean background to get a good paying job in this harsh economic time much less with a criminal background. I have a grandson who is dealing with this now.He's young so he thought he could get any job. Nope. He has a criminal background and about the only places that will hire folks with a criminal background around here are restaurants.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others.
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you.
    The Job Hunting Moms group on CafeMom also has great tips

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 12:45 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Looking for a job is a full time job, and sometimes you need to be creative and design your own job.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, in addition to coaching.
    Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I'm not even sure about restaurants - I used to manage a nationwide family sit down restaurant and we wouldn't hire anyone with a felony.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Hello,

I wish you luck in your search.

He might want to consider a home business where he is his own boss. If you think he might be interested, please check out http://4yourfamily.org/teamwork

If you have any questions please send me a PM.

Best Wishes,

Beth

4yourfamily

Answer by 4yourfamily at 12:00 AM on Aug. 14, 2009