Is 3 to young for a pet?

My DD turns 3 in DEC. she really wants a kitten but that's really not possible right now. So i was thinking of getting her a Guinea Pig. I've had one so i know their some what low maintenance and i know she can help feed it and give it water. Of course i'd have to change the bedding but they don't require shots and stuff so money wise it would be cheaper. Plus not too small so i don't have to worry about losing it. So do you think 3 is a good age for a pet. (she has fish)

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 11:35 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think 3 is the perfect age to start giving responsibilities. Whether it's feeding a watering the pets or helping load the dishwasher. My 3 y/o son loves to do both of those. We actually just got him and his sister a puppy. My son loves taking her outside and giving her treats. I f you are looking for a cheap pet, i'd say a Guinea Pig is probably perfect. Cats a low maitenence, but you are right about shots and stuff. I'd say yess to the guinea pig and maybe a cat if you can find one that is spayed/nueterd and has it's shots.
    a_bai04

Answer by a_bai04 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I don't think it's too young. Just be carefull about what kind of pet and resposibilities you give your child. Remember they are still developing and understanding the world. I do think with a pet around you need to keep an extra eye when around it. Giving them duties and exposing them to animals is part of learning. There is a pre-school I went to look at for my 3yr old son and they had a fish, duck and dog for the kids to care for (with suppervision of course). We actually decided to send him there.
    amda

Answer by amda at 4:40 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i say you stick to a fish!!! enless your child knows not to be cruel to animals.....
    my step kid would chase the cat around the house, pull his hair out, hit him with his toys, throw juice on him ect.... it was a hassle i had to keep the poor cat in my bedroom.
    mellyhayes

Answer by mellyhayes at 6:04 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes, it's too young. Small children do not know how to be gentle with animals. I have seen too many kids pick cats up by the leg, tail, or head to know this.

Guinea pig might be better because it's smaller and lives in a cage, but they pee a lot and SMELL.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:44 AM on Aug. 14, 2009