Busy mom trying to potty train

I have an 8mos old and I'm trying to potty train my oldest who will be 2 on 9/26. I also am in school trying to study for my bachelor's. I've been trying to train her but I feel like I end up being inconsistent b/c I don't keep up w/ the regime. I was told to put her on the potty every 20 min but I end up going over that and she ends up peeing/pooping in her pull up. I stopped using underwear b/c she just ended up going through about 3 a day. I'm new at this and any suggestions will be helpful.

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 11:36 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, no diapers or pullups for me. Stunk sometimes and i was glad I own a carpet cleaner but it worked. I had no luck if the diaper/pull up was on. We went to the store and she got to pick out a couple packs of undies- her choice so she was excited. They have lots to choose from and she got to pick her favorites (Dora and Disney Princesses). I have like 4 sets because she would go through them so fast at the start. I also call the pullups "Night Time underpants" so she doesnt feel like they are diapers. I made a HUGE deal out of successes. Sing songs-high fives, we even called daddy when he was at work. An accident was treated with oh oops, thats not so good, but its ok sometimes we have accidents. And then a trip to the potty. If i got frusterated or looked dissapointed you could see her get frusterated with herself and she would have more accidents. Was stinkin tough thou. Also no pants just undies and a shirt. Quicker :)
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 3:29 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Every 20 minutes seems awfully close together IMO. If I tried too close together my DD would get frusterated cause she was always on the potty. I do about every hour and after each meal. I would ask more frequently though. I tried everything with my daughter (she is 2 1/2 now). Stickers, surprise box, big girl undies everything. What finally worked for her was candy lol. I had a big bowl of little wrapped chocolates (like halloween candy) that she could see but not reach. If she went in the potty she got to pick a piece. If she had an accident she had to sit on the potty but didnt get anything. I went to just undies thou because she would say oops i went right after (if she was in a diaper she wouldnt). When i started this method it only took a week or so before she got it (had the occasional accident still. She only wears a pullup now at bedtime. Now im working on the 16 month old. Hopefully that will work with her as well.
    cinemagirl823

Answer by cinemagirl823 at 11:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Maybe you can try setting up a big girl weekend. One that you can put everything off but her potty training (and the other child of course!). Every 20 or 30 minutes you can sit her on there and make a huge deal about it if she goes. Tell her she's a big girl and let her know how proud you are. That's all I got, Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yeah I thought 20 min was too close too but thats the article I read. I just started again this week and started giving her candy too so maybe that'll work. So no pull-up just panties?
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 12:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My son is 18 months and he is just about fully potty trained an I started by sitting him on there after he ate and before he went to bed that make work well it did for him...I reward him by taking him to toys r us and getting a toy.
    mizzthang185

Answer by mizzthang185 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 13, 2009