Contact lenses?

I'm looking into getting contacts and most of the people I talked to said insurance doesn't cover them so I was just wondering about how much do you pay out of pocket for them?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Health

• I am nearsighted and have alot of astigmatism (the astigmatism is what gets you) I paid $300.00 for mine. I'd rather wear contacts though oppose to glasses.
    But do give your eyes a rest from the contacts you don't want to ruin your eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I paid $99.00 for an exam and a pair of contacts. I pay about $23.for a box of 3pair. I alternate between glasses and contacts so I don't have to buy them alot.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 11:46 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• If you don't have anything major going on, you should be able to get them fairly cheap. I buy mine at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club for about $15 a box-1 box has 6 contacts in it. I have a different prescription for each eye so it's $30 but they last me about 3-6 months depending on how well I take care of them.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Check into local eye exam places for specials. A lot of times they will have something like an exam and 6 pair (1 box) for $99. I have an astigmatism and my eyes are different prescriptions so I always have to pay a little more, but the total cost for my last visit including 2 boxes of contacts was $175. I'm also bad and wear my 2 week disposable lenses for about 1-2 months before I change them out.
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I also have an astigmatism but I told the eye doctor there was no way I could afford those contacts (cheapest I found were $35 a box and I needed two different strengths). So he gave me an adjusted prescription so I could get the normal contacts and I pay about $16 a box. Also since both eyes are the same strength in the normal lenses I only have to buy 1 box for 3 pairs. Also if you treat disposables like long wear contacts they last pretty long and I've stretched 1 pair of contacts as long as 3 months. I wouldn't suggest going that long, but contacts are expensive and the economy isn't good. You do what you need to! lol
    Mommy22boys

Answer by Mommy22boys at 1:11 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Did -your- insurance actually say they wouldn't pay for contacts or are you going solely on what other people have said? If it's the latter, I suggest calling your insurance and actually finding out first. Or you could call your eye doctor and they would be able to tell you.

My insurance pays $100 towards glasses or contacts a year, it's my choice. That gets me three boxes of contacts. When I do have to buy my contacts, they're about thirty dollars a box.

If you do need to pay, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you contacts that last longer, say 30 day contacts as opposed to 14 day contacts. That way you wouldn't have to buy as many. You could also check into hard contacts. They're a bit more effort to take care of but they generally last six months to a year.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 1:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009