1 Year Old Eating Schedule

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have 1 year old boy (the first one) and wonder his eating schedule. He is still eating baby food stage 2. He can eat snack for figure food but he doesn't want to eat meal like pasta or chicken for his meals. He just had 1 year checkup yesterday and his Dr asked us to switch to cow milk. I am giving him Enfamil Next Step now. He is currently staying home with my mom but he will go daycare (center) next month. I am afraid he won't get enough food when he's at daycare. He also doesn't like seat on high chair when eating lunch/dinner. The only time he can eat is watching TV and holding TV remote control. How could I move his bottles to snippy cup and introduce him figure food for his meals? What should I tell daycare people to take care him? I feel like I have to bring the TV to the daycare center when he goes to it. I am very worried. Please advice what I should do. Thank you all!

DonaldLe

Asked by DonaldLe at 11:45 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, you need to quit feeding him stage 2 baby food. At the least you should be giving him stage 3.. He needs to be fully eating from the table now. I really hope you aren't being serious about the whole tv thing, if you are stop putting your kid in front of the tv to eat for crying out loud. He's 1 MAKE HIM sit in his chair and give him REAL food not baby food. You're the reason he won't eat it now without watching tv. Break that and you won't have a problem and chances are the daycare might not take him until he's eating actual food. They are not going to be feeding a 1 year old stage 2 food unless he has health problems.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:50 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• By the way he will be getting more food and nutrients at daycare than you're giving him now. He will probably be better off.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:51 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Don't switch to milk until he's getting nutrition from food. If he's only eating baby food, he's not getting the nutrition he needs if you take away formula. (regular formula is fine, you don't need to give him "next step")

Put his formula in a sippy cup and help him learn to drink from it. Squirt some in his mouth and show him what comes out of it. Get rid of the bottles as soon as he demonstrates he can drink from the cup. (get rid of ALL the bottles)

If he's not eating table foods, he's not going to get enough food at daycare. He probably won't get any. The ones around here only provide table food for kids. If there is a medical reason they can't have table foods (must have only liquids/baby food) there has to be something from the doctor and the parents have to provide it.

Put some of what you're eating on a plate for him, dice it up and put the plate in front of him. If he needs to be shown, then....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:53 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• ...use his hand and show him how he can pick it up with his hand and put it into his mouth.

Is he delayed? He should have developed a pincer grasp by now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• That was not supposed to be anon! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:56 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Geez. Turn off the TV. If he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. He won't as long as you're filling him up with formula, so cut back to a reasonable amount and only at meals (like you'd have a drink with your meals)

Why is he not eating at least some table food now? Don't even bother with "stage 3", start feeding him properly if there isn't a reason the doctor said not to give him real food yet.

Does the doctor know that he's not eating real food to be telling you to put him on milk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• 8:30am Milk, dry cheerios, cut up banana

10:30am Milk, noodles, carrots (steamed or canned) chunky applesauce

12:30 milk graham cracker hard boiled egg...

well, whatever, lol. he can eat ANYTHING, almost. just small, soft. offer him something new every few days, no matter what. nearly anything u eat.... give him some. ditch the baby foods, period. he is beyond it
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:59 AM on Aug. 13, 2009

• i can guarantee the reason why your child isnt eating well is BECAUSE of the tv...hes so engrossed in it hes perfectly happy letting you do all the work by feeding him...you need to take away the tv...set him in the highchair, give him some finger food AND some stage 3 jar food...while your feeding him the jar, he has the opportunity to grab food too...try to encourage that while feeding him...as far as feeding him reg milk...first get him situated on a sippy cup, once hes comfortable with that add milk in intervals into his formula, untill eventually theres nothing but milk in there...that should help...but i hate to say it...but letting him watch tv with meals, youve created a monster...its going to be tough to break...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• well im not completely against tv, some shows can be educational but he should watch about an hour a day Thats It! Now about the food make him stop that baby food, give him fun colorful foods they have whole wheat pasta that is colored teach him its fun to have different textured food let him feel it with his hands don't be afraid to let him get dirty lol it will happen. You can use food coloring to get him to eat things like eggs

about the milk and cup he will like the flavor of milk so put the milk in sippy cup chances are he will want that and forget about nasty tasting formula.

another thing put him in his chair give him his food if he doesn't eat hes not hungry a child given food never goes hungry eventually he will realize your not a short order cook.
    sami07

Answer by sami07 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Ban the tv. I don't think tv is completely bad - there are some show of redeeming quality, but it sounds like your son is so addicted to tv that you may need to go cold turkey. I'm glad to hear he's going to be going to daycare! My 9 month old eats nothing but table food, cut up - he eats what we're eating. Put your son in his highchair for meals - if he doesn't want to sit in his highchair he doesn't eat. It's a simple rule, we sit to eat. Switch to a sippy immediately, one with a soft spout is a nice transition and don't give him a bottle. Again, if he's hungry he will take it.
    I think everything else will come once you get rid of the tv.

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009