How do you keep your bills in order?

When my dh does the bills he has everything all scrabbled up (very unorganized)

I use to do the bills but he said I don't do it correctly so I then stepped away and said you do it then...How can we both do this and be neat about it.

How do you do it?
Thanks Ladies...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I do all the bills. I pay them all online.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 12:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I know this is a bit ODD, but immediately upon receiving the bill in mail I write into calender whatever it says IE "Sunday the 5th cell ph. 89.63" and then shred and toss the bill. Nothing to lose then, and I know the amt. and date due
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:01 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• When I collect the mail, I open it and write the due date and the amount on the front of the envelope. I then put them in order according to what bill is due the soonest and priority. I then put them on my Husband's side of the dresser to go through. He pays all the bills and deal with the checkbook because I am horrible at math. 2+2=6 in my book LOL!
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I write the due date of all the bills on the outside of the envelopes and pin them to the cork board in the kitchen. Then I harp on my husband to pay them.

It's probably not the best way to do things but it works for us.
    jennifercalling

Answer by jennifercalling at 1:19 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have as many bills as possible set up for automatic payment. The only bills I pay by check are life insurance and garbage removal.

I use Microsoft Money to keep track of our finances. They don't make or sell it anymore, but if you can find an older version on eBay, it's worth the money IMO to get it and use it. I have all of regular and irregular bills entered, it tells me when a bill is coming due, it forecasts my cash flow and tells me how close I am to my budget.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Mine are all in my email in a separate folder. (I found going paperless worked better for me, YMMV.) I set up as many as I could with automatic payments for 1-2 business days after payday. That way if there is an emergency and I need to make other arrangements, I still have some time to do it.

My parents use a set of magazine holders - 4 of them - and they are marked by week of the month. Week 1, week 2, week 3, etc. As their bills come in, they file them according to what week they are due. Then on payday, they pull the mail from the revelant weeks and pay them. If money is left over (they had OT, etc.) then they take the next week and pay what they can of it as well.

One of my coworkers does something similar but breaks it up by pay period. She then pays her bills one period ahead.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:09 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• CONT:

(We get paid the 5th and the 20th. So bills due between the 20th and the 5th of the next month are paid on the 5th of the previous month, the check from the 20th pays the next month's bills due from the 5th to the 20th. If that makes sense...)

In the end, you have to try different set-ups and find what works for YOU and your family.

Best of luck!
    geminilove

• I entered them all into my online banking free bill pay service. I get an e-mail when I have a bill. I just pay it when I get the e-mail. We live in one of those great areas where your mailbox isn't at your house, so you have to walk over to the mail box bank to get your mail. It's useless for me to rely on paper bills.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:46 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I set up a family calendar. I put all the statements in it, as well as write in the calendar month date due, then cross it off or write again when it was paid. We both get paid weekly, so we try to stay atleast one week ahead of our bills. weve done really well getting ourself out of the gutter and getting ahead. now we have money to go out with!! YAY!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 13, 2009