Is it true I have to watch what I eat once I start brestfeeding???

I always heard im suppose to be on some kind of healthy diet after i give birth because certain things can make the milk "flat" or take away nutrients from it... is it true?? Is that really how it works?

DesignDiva21

Asked by DesignDiva21 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah, you should still try and eat healthy because it makes the milk healthier. and avoid the same things you do when your pregnant, like tuna fish.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:20 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• Yes, everything you eat and drink is still food for your child. Eat reasonably, not a lot of fatty non nutritional food. It will help you lose weight and give your child the best start possible. Once you get into the habit it will be easy.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:31 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• IMO, you can relax a little bit more, but still should be aware to make healthier choices.

If you are breastfeeding a baby that seems to have tummy problems you can work on making sure the latch-on is correct, baby is burping, and then possibly check to see if you're the one who's eating gassy foods, for example.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:36 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• WIC adds tuna fish and carrots to your checks if you breastfeed

so i dont think avoiding tuna is a breastfeeding thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• I have Bf'd ALL 5 of my children. I ate as HEALTHY as possible. Chicken, pasta, veggies, fruits, if you can't handle eating lots of fruits and veggies, I would recommend fruit smoothies!! They are SOOO YUMMY!! There are TONS of recipes for them thru google! I tried to stay AWAY from gassy foods like beans, cabbage etc. SOME babies CAN tolerate milk even when you eat these things--I just did NOT want to find out!! I also kept taking my prenatal vitamins, extra iron--my iron is usually on the low side. LOTS and LOTS of WATER, JUICE and herbal tea. Of course, every once in a while, I would eat something sweet like a piece of cake, or a bowl of ice cream. I guess my best advice is to eat sensibly and you should be FINE!!! BEST WISHES to you and your precious baby!!
    Allebas

Answer by Allebas at 1:21 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• You should eat as healthy as you can regardless of whether you're big, small, pregnant, breastfeeding or whatever. Otherwise, no you really don't have to follow a special diet while breastfeeding. Try this link to answer your question in length

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 2:05 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• No need to follow some super strict diet. Just try and make more conscious decisions when eating. Instead of that sod, grab a glass of water or milk. Instead of frying that chicken, maybe consider baking or pan searing. Just little simple things like that. You can still have that chocolate or that yummy cup of coffee from Starbucks, just balance it with healthy food options. :)

Do however try to avoid foods that may cause tummy issue for your little one such as broccoli or others foods that cause gasiness.
    NDFanatik

Answer by NDFanatik at 2:18 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• My daughter and I both love broccoli, but when I BF her and ate it, she'd have really runny poo and get a bad diaper rash. Even if she had it as baby food. She can eat it now with no problem.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 13, 2009

• like doulala said, make healthier choices. the better you feel, the better you'll feel about everything. :)
    yamdankypita

Answer by yamdankypita at 10:11 AM on Aug. 14, 2009